What's new

Widescreen facts please read (information for those considering one) (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Tom that was exactly my point that i was trying to get across, it all depends on your situation. given the choice of a 32" and a 34" widescreen i would also take the widescreen because the size balance favors the 34" there. I completly agree with what you have said

and i am glad that you seem to understand what i was saying (I sometimes ahve a bad habit of wording things poorly)

cheers
John

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Michael St. Clair,

I didn't mean to dismiss all 4:3 material as crap. If I gave offense, please accept my apology. Note that I put "crap" in quotes...if I really thought a show was crap, I wouldn't watch it at all. In fact, I believe that a number of TV shows are quite sharply written. Still, they aren't sight-and-sound critical.

The 4:3 material you mention would definitely be considered "critical viewing," however, which brings me back to my advice: buy a TV that matches your critical viewing material, not just "what you watch the most." If your critical viewing is 4:3 material, you'll want a 4:3 set. Mine is often widescreen, so I want a widescreen set.

My ten-year-old Mitsubishi 35" direct-view set finally died, so I'm in the market for a new TV. I'm leaning toward a 42" Toshiba RPTV because it needs to fit a small space and the RPTVs are often quite shallow; the 42" Tosh is the same depth as my 20" direct view Mitsubishi (bedroom unit). The wide, flat screen is less obtrusive than the bulbous, 4:3 tube of my previous set, even though it gives me a wider picture on widescreen films. Better SAF, in other words.

For most broadcast TV, I find the stretch mode acceptable. For older movies, I'll take the gray bars. For cinemascope films, I'll take the black bars and be glad that they're smaller than they were with my 4:3 set. Some films will be just right.

It's all a trade-off, any way you go.

Jan

Kishu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kishore
I think John brings out a very good point with his post.
Viewing area is important for different viewing habits. If a 60" 4:3 is equivalent to a 55" 16:9 and most of your viewing is in 4:3 it is logical to go for a 4:3 set. Its your personal preferences which will rule your choice and there is no right or wrong answer.
I recommended a HD Capable 4:3 set for my friend who watches 1/2 DVD movies a week and is not much of primetime HD viewer(he works late). He loves it :)
I like my viewing in widescreen(all the way baybee) and mattes are a no-no for me.
Different Strokes for Different Folks :)
Cheers,
Kishore

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi ya folks,
Purchases are personal decisions. Very personal.
Yes, one can buy at 200mph car even though the speed limit is only 65mph in most states. By hey, it's your money and you want it right?
Regardless of facts and figures, only you the buyer can decide for yourself what suits your needs and wants the best. You have to live with it. :) So, go with what you like/want/need.
r,
Errol

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator
I have been shopping televisions and originally did a similar calculation as John, focusing on the 36" or 40" Sony Wega, instead of a 16x9 with similar (cabinet) dimensions. However, I recently switched camps and am now focused on a buying a 16.9. The reason? Because of what Jan said above,

For most broadcast TV, I find the stretch mode acceptable.
I do too. This completely throws off the "91%" figure used by John, as I will rarely watch regular broadcast tv in 4:3 mode on my 16x9.

Of course, John, since you don't like any stretch modes, and since you'll be watching more 4:3 material, then a larger 4x3 television is better for you.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
You buy the display which gives a large enough and high fidelity image for ALL the material which you will view. The answer which attains that set of goals differs with viewer situation. The right choice for someone with HD reception and watches frequent DVD's won't be the same for someone else who watches only broadcast SDTV & VHS doesn't even own a DVD player. Yes, there are people in that category and they are being herded into always buying a widescreen even though they have no intention of getting a DVD player or HD receiver. Can you think of any fixed income, older couples who were talked into a widescreen set even though they only wanted a TV and none of that extra stuff ("CD" player that plays movies)? It's just tragic when I hear them later complain about everyone looking squished on their new TV. They just don't understand and the salesman didn't help them. Sometimes, it makes good sense to do a 4:3 with HD and squeeze capability. On the other hand, HT afficionados probably should get an even larger widescreen display or a projector since our viewing demands are different from the general population. We want the latest sources and the gear optimized for those widescreen presentations.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Thats all im saying marshall, if id known this would cause such a debate i likely would not ahve saidf anything, but hey then again controversy is always good. and the freedom to choose is what amkes this world great.

11 days till i get my new tv
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks