Widescreen enhanced! or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Mediate, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Matt Mediate

Matt Mediate Extra

Hey guys!This is my first post. I'm hoping one of you smart people will clear something up for me. I recently purchased a widescreen TV in October.Now I finally understand why aspect ratio is important , and I also understand why "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs" and "animorphic" are terms that I should have been paying attention to all along. What I do NOT understand is this. Why do some DVD's, Striking distance w/ Bruce Willis for example, say NOTHING about being enhanced for widescreen but still are. When I find an older movie that I want to buy on DVD. how the hell am I supposed to know if it's going to fit my screen or not. Is there some key words I"m missing here?? There is nothing more annoying than watching a non enhanced widescreen movie on a widescreen TV. If the ratio is 2.35:1, it's damn near impossible to enjoy. Half the screen is taken by black bars. Thanks for any help - matt

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Hi, and welcome!

It can be frustrating, thankfully most widescreen titles these days are anamorphic.
    But the only way to be sure I guess is to wait for a review.

PS Most televisions have a zoom mode that zooms in without distorting the proportions. I use a zoom mode to watch nonanamorphic widescreen DVD's on my WS TV. I lose maybe a centimetre or two on both sides compared to watching is unzoomed but to me it is worth the compromise.

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

4. JohnnyHK

JohnnyHK Stunt Coordinator

Matt, just to reiterate, that's precisely what the ZOOM mode on your TV is designed for.
    ZOOM for non-anamorphic titles
    FULL for anamorphic titles
    The end result should be the exact same picture dimensions, but with higher resolution in the anamorphic case.
    Poor boy, you've been enduring this since October!? You should have come to us sooner. [​IMG]

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Johnny, it does make a difference. If you watch a 2.35 anamorpic movie on a widescreen, you're losing about 24% of the screen. If you're watching a non-anamorphic 2.35 movie, you lose about 58% of the screen.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Matt Mediate

Matt Mediate Extra

yeah I dig the whole Zoom thing yet the image is still stretched horizontally. I did a little pepsi challenge with two different versions of "the crow" (One version non enhanced the other one enhanced) on two different DVD players. The difference was quite dramatic. BTW, an Ironic footnote to my plight...My tv will not let me ZOOM a component signal. Just S-video and composite. Retarded!javascript:smilie('[​IMG]') - Matt

8. Michael Reuben

9. Michael Reuben

10. JohnnyHK

JohnnyHK Stunt Coordinator

Exactly, ZOOM is only supposed to operate in the vertical dimension. Horizontally, it operates identically to FULL. In practice, they may be a little different, but they really shouldn't.

Matt, is it possible that your TV may not be letting you use Zoom on your component input because it's receiving a progressive signal? Can you try outputting an interlaced signal from your DVD player? BTW, what TV is it?

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

If you have a Toshiba, there are 3 different zoom modes. On my 2-year-old 65H80, the one you want is Theaterwide 2, which does not distort. Theaterwide 1 stretches as you describe.

12. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Matt, you've fallen into the same trap that many other have, i.e., thinking that "enhanced for widescreen TV" means that the movie will fit your screen. As others have pointed out, that's NOT what it means.
    It has nothing to do with aspect ratio; rather, it has to do with better picture resolution. There have been several similar threads recently, see for example:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=113330
    You should also check out the "primer" thread, which explains anamorphic DVD, and many other things.

13. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Just to reiterate what Mark Zimmer said above, if you have a Toshiba set then you want:

FULL setting for Anamorphic Widescreen DVDs
    TheaterWide 2 for non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs

14. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
  15. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Matt, you do not mention what brand TV you own. Some Mitsubishi models do not allow you to select different viewing modes when receiving a progressive video signal -- other manufacturers may also have the same limitations. In that case, in order to view non-anamorphic widescreen material properly, you would need a progressive scan player than includes a zoom/scaling feature. Panasonic's RP-91 has such a feature, as do some JVC models.

If you own a Toshiba, others above have already listed the viewing modes you should be using (Toshibas do not lock into FULL mode with a progressive video signal).

16. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

17. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The new Philips DVD-936SA SACD/DVD player gives you the best of both worlds: non-anamorphic zooming/scaling in progressive scan mode and the superior 2300-series Faroudja DCDi de-interlacing chip.

And it doesn't seem to have the chroma bug.

Dan

18. Matt Mediate

Matt Mediate Extra

Damn I love you guys! A newsgroup with knowledgeable adults and no flaming. Pinch me! Anyway, John was right. My box won't let me zoom a progressive signal. If I switch it to interlace I'm back in business. Secondly, Mike Reuben, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Newbieness aside, a 2.35:1 not enhanced for widescreen is totally f#cked. If you don't own a widescreen TV, take a 2.35:1 movie that's non enhanced to someone who does. Titanic is a good friendly example. More than half the screen is black. The pic itself is so narrow it feels like you're watchin a peep show. (not that I would know mind you) - Matt

19. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I have a Pioneer Elite that locks in FULL mode with progressive. That's why I have the Panasonic RP-91 that scales. And while anamorphic is definitely superior, the scaling is quite acceptable on good non-anamorphic transfers like TITANIC.

Dan, I haven't been keeping up with the details of the latest DVD players. Does this new Philips player have bass management for multi-channel SACD?

The only complaint I have about the RP-91 (with the Genesis chip) in progressive mode is that I have seen some combing once in awhile, especially on animation (like The Simpsons). Nothing too severe though and no chroma bug.

20. Michael Reuben