Widescreen dvds have more information?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_ S, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Ryan_ S

Ryan_ S Auditioning

I have a question about widescreen dvds. I know there is more information on both sides of a widescreen picture, but in the the process did they remove the top and bottom part of the frame.
    I shall use an example;
    I have the region 1 copy of Ronin which has P&S and widescreen on the same disc. I can't remember the exact chapter, but I think it was chapter 17.Its a shot of a LCD monitor in the van with Gregor inside. Now in the P&S version I can see the top of the monitor and the bottom I can see the brand (Nokia) of the minotor.In the widescreen version, the top and bottom including the brand was covered by the black bars.
    So was the information just covered by the black bars or deleted in the widescreen movies- any movie in fact. See I am perplexed [​IMG]
    BTW, I am using a normal 4:3 telly.
    ------------------

2. Anton Ruzic

Anton Ruzic Stunt Coordinator

Films shot in the Super35 format (such as Ronin) suffer from this particular phenomenon. More information can be found here:
    http://www.widescreen.org/ratios.html
    Anton
    [Edited last by Anton Ruzic on November 10, 2001 at 04:14 AM]

3. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Actually, I believe this can happen with any film shot using "open matte", where it's basically filmed in 1.33:1 with composition for 1.85:1, then displayed as 1.85:1 in theaters.
    -Tom
    [Edited last by Tom Ryan on November 10, 2001 at 04:09 AM]

4. Anton Ruzic

Thanks for the correction, Tom.
    Anton

5. Ryan_ S

Ryan_ S Auditioning

Thanks for the info guys.
    Ryan [​IMG]
    ------------------

6. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron

7. Anton Ruzic

8. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Super35 shot with spherical lenses for 2.35:1 ratio films and open-matted 1.85:1 ratio films also using spherical lenses (and other ratios below that) will show more information on the top and bottom if transferred un-matted to video. The Super35 process then loses some side information as well.
    For a more detailed description of Super35 look in the supplements of the Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition. Although I understand a lot of the reason some DP's use Super35 is for lighting considerations, I think it opens up a whole can o' worms all its own.
    However, for most directors of photography working in the cinematic field, this extraneous information was never meant to be seen and can throw off their intended framing compositions.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

9. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    Over time, a number of links have been posted here to this kind of page on OAR but I can't remember what or where they are -- you may want to do a search. The one you posted, however, is loaded with errors. Trust me.
    A far more comprehensive and reliable source of info on different widescreen processes is:
    http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/
    ------------------
    Gerardo

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Yeah, that aspect ratios page is full of mistakes.
    Cinerama is 2.60:1 (curved)

11. Anton Ruzic

Thanks for the link, Gerardo. [​IMG]

12. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
  13. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    You shouldn't think of the OAR version of a soft-matted film as missing something. Many open-matte transfers still crop on the sides.

I guess you could think of open-matte as the lessor of two evils. It is more the notion that if they are going to ruin a movies composition anyway, they should at least try to remove as little of what was contained in the original composition as possible.

Does it sometimes reveal crew, equipment, and other stuff not meant to be seen? Yes, it does, and they have to make sure opening the matte doesn't reveal such things (sometimes they forget). Do they spend additional on special effects shots to accomodate for opening the matte? No, most of the time, they don't. Why should the studio pay for effects and addtional rendering of stuff that is not meant to be seen anyway.

Most importantly, does it compromise the directors intent? Yes, it does. The message of a shot is cenveyed by both what we see and what we don't see. It is conveyed by where objects or characters are placed in the frame, and in proprotion of the frame they take up. Opening a matte can ruin this composition just as much as cropping could.

14. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    There is a reason that that page has a few errors. Someone will point out an error, and he will change it, and then someone else will point out that it is still incorrect. The problem is, he has no way of knowing for sure what information is correct. The owner of the site, by the way, is John Berger, and he is in the process of revamping it. If you have a correction that you would like him to include, see this thread.