What's new

Widescreen Bars (1 Viewer)

Jeff Magdziarz

Auditioning
Hello all. I just bought a Panasonic Plasma Widescreen. The picture looks great, but I have one gripe. Widescreen DVD's still have black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. I thought the whole purpose of getting a WS TV was to avoid this. Why does this happen, and is there a way to fix it? (Zooming gets rid of the bars but causes distortion)

Any thoughts?
Jeff M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Not all movies come in the same shape. The 16:9 shape of widescreen TVs was established as a compromise. Many widescreen films will fill the entire 16:9 screen; many will not. This is an inherent compromise with any display system that has a single aspect ratio.
For more information, consult the HTF Beginners Primer and FAQ.
M.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
To further clarify Michael's statement above, widescreen TVs are in a 16x9 ratio which is approximately 1.78:1. DVDs in a 1.85:1 ratio will usually appear to fill the screen due to overscan, but if not, there will be very tiny, almost indiscernable bars. For DVDs with a 2.35:1 ratio, the bars will be bigger.

And don't forget, on 4:3 material, you will have bars on the side.

Jeff Magdziarz

Auditioning
Vince, thanks for the reply. That link answered my question quite well. I have not set my DVD player to a 16x9 output. How do you do it? Also, I read on another link about an Avia Calibration DVD. Do you know anything about it? If so, where can I get one?

Jeff M.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Most audio speciality shops will sell the Calibration disc. Check on Ebay as they are usually fairly reasonable. Be sure the read the fine print and make sure you are getting exactly what you are paying for if you order off of ebay though.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jeff: Go into your DVD player's setup menu and select the "16:9" setting. You probably have it on "4:3 lettebox" at the moment. And, once again, movies come in all sorts of shapes. Some of them are almost three times wide as they are tall, and you will see pronounced black bars. The purpose of the 16:9 aspect ratio wasn't to "get rid of the black bars," but to accommodate as best as possible the many different film aspect ratios. One size of television screen obviously can't accommodate all of them. JB

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

There is some more info about AVIA in the FAQ & PRIMER (I really suggest just reading the whole document- it might take some time- but should be helpful). Avia can be ordered online- and I'd say it's a MUST HAVE item.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks