Widescreen bars on Tosh 50h81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mikey_K, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Mikey_K

Mikey_K Auditioning

I just set up my Tosh 50h81 last night with a Tosh 4800 pro-scan DVD player with AR Component Cables. When viewing DVD movies in widescreen, the top and bottom of the wide picture aren't exactly straight. They're not perfectly straight and just not quite parallel with the top and bottom of the screen. It's not a big disturbance (you can hardly tell), but I was wondering if this is normal with RP HDTVs.bowed

Thanks!quite

2. Mikey_K

Mikey_K Auditioning

I should clarify:

The very top edge of the picture where it meets the black bar is bowed a smidge. And the bottom edge dips a bit in the lower left corner. You can hardly notice. But I'm curious if it's normal for this kind of TV? Thanks!

3. Mikey_K

Mikey_K Auditioning

I should clarify:

The very top edge of the picture where it meets the black bar is bowed a smidge. And the bottom edge dips a bit in the lower left corner. You can hardly notice. But I'm curious if it's normal for this kind of TV. Thanks!

4. HarleyMYK

HarleyMYK Agent

I have the 4800 and the 42H81. I have no such problem.
    I think to run widescreen DVDs properly you need to MAKE SURE TO CHANGE THE TV DIMENSIONS on the 4800 to 16:9 and output as FULL (default on the 4800 is 4:3).
    The on the 'H81, make sure the picture size is set to FULL.
    Have you tried running AVIA on the set yet. Interested in what your settings are...

5. Mikey_K

Mikey_K Auditioning

Thanks for the response, Harley. I did what you mentioned, and it certainly helped a bit. The Avia disk is set to arrive tomorrow. Sure that will help, too.

I have been experimenting with different settings, using TOY STORY's THX Optimode tool to calibrate the set. It seems to look great. My settings are as follows:

Contrast 44
    Brightness 63
    Color 39
    Tint -6
    Sharpness 48

If you have any better ideas, let me know. Thanks for the help!

6. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Sounds like your geometry is off. I have the same TV and had/have the same problem.
    My solution was to get a convergence template, place it on the screen, and then pull up the 56-point convergence to line up the green gun to the lines on the template. Once this is done, you will have to line the other 2 guns to the green one.
    I corrected my 50H81 a few months ago, but my convergence has drifted a considerable amount since then, and I just haven't gotten around to re-adjusting it.
    For additional info and a more detailed explanation, check out:
    http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...hiba_tips.html
    http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/theater.htm