Widescreen Advocacy Page Reduced Image Quality

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joshua Clinard, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    John has recently reduced the image quality of the buttons, and other images on Widescreen.org. He says that someone posted that his site is designed for broadband, and that prompted him to decrease the quality. I disagree with whoever it was that posted that. The site did not take that long to load on my dial-up (56k) account. Now that he has reduced the image quality, the text on the buttons are no longer crisp and clear, and the images look a little off too. The only thing that took a while to load for me on my dial-up account was the flash animation. I hope he did not delete the original button files, and I think that he should consider uploading the original images, at least the ones with text that are now difficult to read, at least to my eyes. Anyone else feel the same way about the reduced quality images?

John, as you know, I love your site, man, but I don't think this move was an especially good one. Consider testing it on other machines, or getting feedback about loading time from other member's here. (That's why I started this thread.) Maybe it's just a few people who have slow (33.6 or less) dial up connections that are complaining.

2. Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel Second Unit

There are dial-ups, and theeeereeeee aaaareeeee diiiialllll uuuuuupssss...

I think the site, if that´s possible, should have two versions: one for broadband users, with hi-def graphics, and one for dial-uppers.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Now, come on. Even I couldn't see any real differences between the two versions. It's not like I've decided to use 256-color GIFs, you know. [​IMG]

Give me some credit, please. If I felt that the JPEG compression would have resulted in quality reduction that was more than negligible, I wouldn't have modified anything and just attributed this month's excess transfer rate to "one of those things".

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

The buttons have been returned to their original state. (No, I'm not crazy enough to have deleted the originals. Yes, I am crazy - lunatic, even - but not THAT crazy. [​IMG])

You need to get beyond 640x480 resolution, my friend. [​IMG]