widesceen or standard?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by James_Kiang, Apr 7, 2006.

1. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I'm picking up a 19" lcd from newegg. Unfortunately, my indecision is getting the best of me as I've found two I like. Here are links:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116373
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116375
    The price difference is negligible. The refresh is debatable, though obviously 2ms is faster than 8ms. I guess it comes down to a (mostly) subjective opinion about the value of the widescreen aspect ratio. I am an ardent supporter of original aspect ratio when it comes to movies, but games are not movies. And that is my dilemma. I will be playing games like Civ 4, Rise of Legends, Oblivion, and maybe an MMO or two (WoW & CoH being most likely, though Warhammer and D&D sound appealing).

Any suggestions? I'd like to place the order tomorrow morning as I have some other plans that will keep me busy during the day, so I appreciate any thoughts you might share.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Get the WS one. You end up with more space to put icons, or whatever - I don't watch movies on mine at all.

Just make sure that you put the correct driver in.

Glenn

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    check out the widescreen gaming forum and see if those games are supported in the monitor's native resolution.

CJ

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I don't have a strong opinion on LCD monitors, but this isn't really true. Widescreen LCDs tend to be lower resolution than their squarish cousins as with this pair:

Widescreen: 1440x900 = 1,026,000 pixels
    Normal: 1280x1024 = 1,310,720 pixels

5. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

I love my widescreen lcd's for gaming, just make sure the game supports it. sometimes you can force the resolution as well( a simple .ini edit works good too). warhammer is a great game [​IMG] viewsonic makes great monitors Althou I havent used any of their lcd's for any extended period of time ( im partial to Dell lcd's) I would also have a look at BenQ they have some very nice lcd's that are great for gaming.

6. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Actually 1440x900 = 1,296,000 pixels, which as you mentioned, is still less pixels than the Normal screen example that you gave.

7. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Is that true? I thought if you have a square and a rectangle with the same measurement diagonally, the square would have a greater area. I could be wrong though.

And obviously, the 4:3 monitor isn't a square, but it is more a square then the 16:9, so I would expect it to have a greater desktop area..

8. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Well, thankfully for the lazy Sunday, I was able to do a couple calculations...

If a 4:3 monitor is 4'' x 3'' the diagonal will be 5''.
    And the area of that monitor will be 12sq inches.

A 16:9 monitor with a 5'' diagonal measurement will be 4.3579'' x 2.4513''. And the area of that will be 10.6825sq inches.

I did these calcs by using that pythagorean theorem.

So now, unless my math is wrong, I think a 4:3 monitor that has the same diagonal measurement of a 16:9 monitor would actually have a larger desktop.

I remember doing these calcs when I was looking to get a new monitor, which is what resulted in me purchasing a 4:3 one. It was more desktop area for my $$. Since I don't play games, and do not watch movies on my PC, I did not have any need for the widescreen monitor.

And looking at the links on the top of this page, this would also explain why the widescreen monitor is cheaper.

Edit:
    And my final thing to do this afternoon is that a
    4:3 19'' monitor will have a desktop area of appx 173.25 sq inches, whereas a 16:9 19'' monitor will have a desktop area of appx 154.25 sq inches. A difference of about 10% in favor of the 4:3 monitors..

And lo and behold, the diffence in price is 9%. What are the odds?

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    well the more square the screen is, the more area it has, isnt this always the case?

and prices will not always work out that nicely, you just got lucky there. flat panels aren't sold by the square inch, and there are many other factors determining the price.

CJ

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

It all depends on what you're going to be doing on that monitor.

As far as web surfing, 4x3 is best, but for video editing and photo retouching/design, 16x9 is best.

Gaming (especially first person view games) are always best in 16x9 as the widescreen gives you a better peripheral feel.

Unlike TV's, (where 16x9 us a must [​IMG]) there's no rules with computers. Just go with what you like best.

p.s. Note: all widescreen computer monitors are actually 16x10.

11. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    only if you have a smaller monitor. i have the 24" dell widescreen, and i never maximize anything anymore. i can have a firefox window open next to vmware (running windows as a vm in linux), or i can have two FULL 8.5" x 11" documents open at the same time, at 100% zoom. the only time i use a maximized window is if i'm working on a photograph or a video project, where i need to see everything.

so i guess i'm saying if you have a widescreen panel, you can start putting unmaximized windows side by side instead of using one maximized window and switching back and forth.

CJ

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

actually, I shouldn't have said 4x3 is best for web surfing, but web pages utilize the 4x3 space more than a 16x9. Like for my dad, he needs web pages to be as large as possible because all he does is surf (one page at a time). For him, a widescreen monitor wouldn't work with the way he uses the computer.

Again, it all depends on how you work and who you are.

13. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I ended up going with the widescreen monitor. Of course, me being indecisive and all, I checked out some games after I placed the order. Turns out that a lot of what I like to play does support widescreen, but does not appear to support 1440x900. I've been reading that I will just have to edit the .ini files - does that sound about right?

14. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Yeah you will probably be doing that alot unfortunately. Some games like Need for Speed Most Wanted require a seperate utitily program to run to get a custom widescreen resolution.

Some devs are better than others, and you are starting to see standards like 1680x1050 being added to the resolution selection box. 1440x900 is starting to get popular with the new 19" widescreen monitors and with a lot of laptop screens but of all the widescreen resolutions, it is probably the least supported out of the box.

15. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok, I give. I use MS' Excel a lot, so for me WS is better.

Actually, any text works better, I think, on WS, as long as your eyeballs don't lose their place on the line you're reading!

Glenn

16. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Once you get wider than maybe 1024 or 1280 pixels, more width makes pages less readable. Reading text is like watching a tennis match; the lines are just too long (at normal text sizes). On the other hand, many sites have a fixed width (designed for 800 or 1024), and making the window bigger just creates blank space.

As most people went from 800x600 to 1024x768 to nowadays 1280x1024 (actually 5:4), maximizing the browser window made sense, because the width was usable and making the window as tall as possible always works. But 1600x1200 (4:3) is too wide.