Wideband Component Vs. "Regular" Component

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Houdek, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    Ok guys, I know there is someone who can assist me. I "almost" purchased an Onkyo 787 on clearance. However, I'm now holding out until I get something cleared up.

What is the difference between wideband and regular component inputs and outputs? Will regular component inputs and outputs not support HDTV and progressive scan DVD? I noticed this difference between the Onkyo 787 and 797 and thought I'd better not buy until I got this cleared up. Shouldn't there be one specification for component I/O?

If anyone has the exact details on the signalling I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

That is correct. If you plan on needing to switch your Progressive component signals, get the 797.

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Stephen,
    I don't know the component input/output bandwidth specifications of the 787 and 797 but I do know that there has been a lot of misconception regarding what is, and what is not needed to successfully pass progressive scan and HDTV signals through component switching on pre/pros and receivers.
    I referenced an article on this here and you should look it over to see if and how it applies to your situation.
    Take care.

4. Stephen Houdek

S
    Thanks.......I'll take a look.

5. Stephen Houdek

S
    Great link, it appears I need to be very specific and ask what bandwidth the outputs actually have. As long as it is above 30Mhz I'm alright. Interesting that it is analog as well.

6. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

7. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

If the bandwidth is 50MHz for both the 787 and the 797 I wouldn't think that either would be a problem. Has anyone out there actually done a visual comparison with both models?

I found, like the article stated, that the bandwidth "problem" has been greatly overstated in my practical experience. Granted, I haven't tested every component out there with component switching, but I've yet to find something that didn't do the job.

My two cents on this.

8. Tulli

Tulli Stunt Coordinator