wide VS full screen mode question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Will T, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Will T

Will T Auditioning

I just got a new Panasonic PT-AE700U. I set it up in my half finished home theater just to test it. I am happy with it so far, but I have a question I hope someone here can answer. So far I rented 2 DVDs. One was a wide screen version, the other was ... well I'm not sure what it was. Here is my question: I start the projector and set it up zoom wise to fill a 16:9 screen (Actually a 4 x 8 piece of white coroplast for test purposes, but close enough) The menu and previews all fill the screen, but when the actual movie starts, it doesn't fill the screen. It's smaller and I have to zoom the picture larger. This works, but I'm not sure I'm getting all the resolution of the LCD because there is a lot of extraneous light now off the screen. Also, if I use any menu items from my DVD player, they too are now off the screen. Am I renting the wrong version of DVD? I tried the settings on the projector from auto, wide, ect ... same thing. The movie needs to be zoomed differently from the trailers and the setup up menus. Any help appreciated.

Bill

2. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

Whats the listed aspect ration of the dvd? If its wider then 1.85x1 you will still have noticeable bars on the bottom and top.

If this is the problem you can find numerous threads from newbies in basics area of the forum.

Anyway the point is no matter what aspect ratio display you have, not every dvd is going to fit that aspect ratio and you will have bars of some kind. Just something you have to get used too.

3. John S

John S Producer

Sounds like the DVD player could be set wrong.

Make sure it is set for a 16:9 display as well.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The best version of DVD for your projector (and any 16:9 TV, and for anyone wanting to futureproof his movie collection) is the "16:9 enhanced" version or the "anamorphic" version. Not all movies are available this way. Adjust your projector just once, so the "blue screen" or "raster" fits on your screen.

When your DVD player TV shape setting is 16:9 and you adjust the projector zoom to best fit the picture to the screen, the non-anamorphic widescreen version and the anamorphic version of the movie (if both exist) should yield pictures of the same shape and size.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. Will T

Will T Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I also found a few good threads in the Home Theater Basics area of this forum.