Wide Cats...Nov 6? Wide Wonka...Jan or Feb? Per Best Buy!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Nov 1, 2001.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I talked to Best Buy's Consumer Relations people yesterday about the Widescreen situation with Cats & Dogs and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - 30th Anniversary Edtion. They promised to ask their buyers and e-mail me an answer.
    The answer I had waiting for me when I got home speaks for itself. In short, the buyer says that "Warner has not yet verified when they will release the widescreen version of Willy Wonka. They hope to have it available for sale possibly late January or early February. However, all statements are estimates from the manufacturer. Please know that exact dates cannot be provided."
    I called Josh Sabarra at Warner Brothers immediately. He denies any delay of Wonka WS...he states that Nov. 13 is still the date! He asked around the office and was told the same thing. He also says that WS C&D should be "readily available", has been since the P&S ship date, and can't understand why I cannot find it "in ANY Memphis B&M store at all".
    Below you will see the exact e-mail I got from Best Buy. Below that you will see my reply.

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Just when you think you have seen all the ignorance, it gets worse!!!!!

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Best buy has a real problem with this. Besides the two you've mentioned I remember being told two weeks after the street date for 'Battle Beyond the Stars' (guilty childhood pleasure) that it would be out for six months. My local Best Buy still doesn't have 'Runnig Scared' and continues to tell me it's not out.

4. Paul Bond

Paul Bond Stunt Coordinator

Just my two cent grumble (assuming that you take pennies).
    From my experiences, if Best Buy doesn't have 'it' in stock, then 'it' is not available. You can show them a copy of a DVD in your own hot little hands, and they won't be able to see it, because their computer says it doesn't exist.
    Sigh.

5. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

The BB I work at has Running Scared so it should *definitely* be in the computer at your BB. Perhaps it is somehow misspelled and they can't find it. I've seen that from time to time in the system making it very hard to find a title. Lastly, Blow Out is a film that is not available at the B&M BB, but it is online. The system does not acknowledge that it was released and says it's coming in on 12/30.

6. David Lambert

Disappointing. I did NOT get a reply yet from Best Buy, even just to say "we got your new note and we're checking it out".
    Sigh.
    BTW, I saw Running Scared in my own local Best Buy today when I stopped to get Shrek. It was $9.99.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

7. David Lambert

On Monday the 5th I got the following reply from Best Buy.
    They STILL won't commit to having Wonka WS in-stock on the 13th. Perhaps "within 2-3 weeks" after. They DO plan to have C&D WS today, though - the 6th.
    Here's the entire e-mail from Best Buy (names replaced with asterisks out of courtesy):

8. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

*sigh* I don't believe this. You would think that a company as successfull as Best Buy would be able to communicate within their own company. This kind of thing is just plain disgusting.......Wil
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    "The rose petal floats on water,
    the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
    Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
    *******The Wheel of Time

9. David Lambert

Thanks to one of the ladies who work there that I've already complimented several times, I picked up my copy of Widescreen Cats & Dogs at Best Buy today, along with Star Trek:TMP. Ashley was great in that she checked the computer, then went into the back to get me one of the 9 copies they received.
    I paid for it with the $25 Gift Certificate that Best Buy sent me for my troubles. [​IMG]
    So I not only got it, I got it free. I checked the disc, and it really really really IS widescreen. YAAAAAYYYYYY!
    Now if I can just get WS Wonka on time next Tuesday...
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
    .....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

10. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Best Buy notoriously has very bad training of its young people. That and/or the young people dont retain info very well. Throw that into the mix with young people not understanding the word "integrity", and you have a bad mix for a good employee.
    ------------------

11. David Lambert

Brian O:
    Your post is complaining about the Best Buy people in the stores. My posts - and most of the responses about them - are complaining about the communication between the folks at Best Buy's corporate headquarters.
    Specifically, the buyer and the consumer rep lady passed bad info back to me about the Wonka release date.
    Despite that the buyer seems to have gone back and talked to Warner Bros. themselves, there still seems to be a disparity between what BB is telling me and what WB is telling me. Naturally, each is putting the responsibility on the other. Naturally, I don't believe either one and the truth is surely somewhere in between.
    Note that I believe that each party is CERTAIN they are telling me the truth. However, they only know what they have been told by the people covering their asses, whoever they might be.
    I agree with you, Brian, that most of the Best Buy employees are like most retail salespeople all over, and your description is accurate. Yes, that even described me when I was a sales drone for a long time, and a manager of sales drones, too.
    However, I had a few EXCEPTIONAL people working for me on occassion, and I believe that 3 young ladies in my local BB's media dept. are exceptional as well. Ashley, who I mentioned in my last post, is the best of the 3, but Kimberly and Maureen are very close behind. They're on the ball.
    I hope you and everyone else manages to find some great people who know what "customer service" means, sometime at some store. It's nice to know I can count on them!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
    .....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....