What's new

wicker man ltd edition... any good? (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Any good? YES!
By strange coincidence, I watched the extended cut last night. One of the best chillers ever made, and Christopher Lee is fantastic (as ever). The extra scenes in the extended cut give more insight into Edward Woodward's character, and IMHO are definitely worth the extra bucks for the limited edition (that and the ultra-cool box design).
Be warned that the DVD quality on the extended cut isn't good (to put it mildly), but, unless someone is willing to dig up a motorway, it's the best the special edition will ever look. The theatrical edition tranfer (disc one in the LE set) is very good.
The Wicker Man is a "thinking man's horror movie", so don't expect gore and mindless violence every 5 minutes. Having said that, there is a lot of nudity, with Britt Ekland's dance being one of the more memorable cinematic moments of the 20th century
wink.gif

James D

Second Unit
It is very good. The limited edition version comes with both the extended cut and the theatrical cut. It is packaged in a nifty wooden box. I won't go into details about the movie itself because this is definitely one movie that you want to see cold. Edward Woodward(aka the Equalizer) and Christopher Lee have never been better. Follow this link for an excellent review: http://horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/wman-lmtd/

Julie K

Screenwriter
Yep. Excellent movie and you must get the LE because the extended cut is the only one to watch.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
Highly recommended... Best buy has the Ltd. Ed. for $24.99!
Well worth it! Cheers -JD

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I actually preferred the theatrical cut. Just the extended edition's sequence in the police station was highly redundant and revealed way too much about the sergeant right off the bat. It's much better in the theatrical release where the officer's personality is revealed a small piece at a time.
I have my own review of the set available at my Web site. You can find it here.
------------------
The Milnoc
News, Views, DVD Reviews.

Tyler Ruggeri

Stunt Coordinator
"And on that tree . . . "
The Wicker Man is definitely a suspense classic, and kudos to Anchor Bay for one of my favorite discs, a huge edition they could not possibly be making any money on. In my opinion, the extended cut is infinitely better and the film elements are unfortunately the best they can be. Hey, at least it looks better than Manhunter, a film where I actually bought the standard over the limited after I saw the horrible transfer on the director's cut. This is one of those little-know gems that rarely make it to DVD, so support Anchor Bay and pick it up.
Tyler Ruggeri

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the limited edition wooden box upon release, and don't regret it, but I have to say...
SPOILER SPACE
SS
SS
SS
...I was a bit underwhelmed by the ending, which many people professed to be "incredible" and "mind-blowing." While I admit it's unusual to have the protagonist be carried off to his death, it wasn't quite of the "mind-blowing" variety.
END SPOILER
Nonetheless, it's rare to see a film so entrenched in its own eerie atmosphere. I applaud the filmmakers for not shying away from being downbeat, and it's definitely an affecting film experience. But I do caution people not to get too caught up in the hype. Depending on your previous experience with different genres, one person's "Amazing!" might be another's "Amazing?"

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Can you guys from England tell me/us if the Wickerman is an english legend?
Is the song "The Wickerman" by Iron Maiden the same "Wickerman" in the movie?
Thanks!
------------------
Sean
"Self Realization....I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

eric holm

Stunt Coordinator
JakeR -
I have to say I completely agree with you. However, the movie definately grew on me with a second viewing.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
although this debate has already happened on this forum, count me in with the crowd that prefers the Theatrical cut in many, many ways. Sometimes less is more. Although i FULLY appreciate having both versions in the wooden box. Probably Anchor Bay's finest moment.
sean

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Definitely, look for the easter egg TV interview. Christopher Lee sings!
And if you REALLY want to see Christopher Lee singing, pick up a copy of Anchor Bay's Scars of Dracula with the bonus disc.
Along with a self-hosted look at his career, the disc contains 2 complete music videos complete with disco lights and dancing girls!
------------------
Link Removed

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I never watched the theatrical cut, just assumed it was inferior. Guess I'll have to go back and give it a go.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...24
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I had not seen this, but all the talk here led me to buy it. I was very impressed. A damn fine horror flick, had me freaked out pretty often. And yes, Britt's dance is award-worthy.
wink.gif
Plus, I like the Anchor Bay tins and this wooden display looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks