What's new

Wi-Fi Antenna for BD Ethernet connections? (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

Sorry Ron the procedure I typed was for my dlink. Here is what I pulled off netgears website.

How to Log in Using the IP Address of the WGPS606
1. The Smart Wizard on the WGPS606 CD guides you through the process of assigning an IP
address based on the addressing scheme used in your network. If you used the Setup Wizard to
perform the initial configuration, you will need to use the IP address assigned at that time.
Otherwise, 192.168.0.102 is the default IP address of your wireless USB print server. So, if the
WGPS606 has not yet been installed, and there is no DHCP server on the network, you can log
in to the WGPS606 using its default IP address.
Note: The computer you are using to connect to the WGPS606 should be configured with a
static IP address that starts with 192.168.0.x and a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0.
2. Open a Web browser such as Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.
3. Connect to the WGPS606 by entering its IP address into your browser

Ron I read over on epinions that this print server is not MAC friendly. My Dlink took all of 5mins to setup. Make sure you have MAC filtering turned off on your router till set up.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Kevin and all, thanks for all your assistance.

It looks like I am SOL.

I tried bringing up 192.168.0.102 on my browser. No connection.

I then went into my Virtual PC and installed the Netgear setup client
on Windows XP. It could not detect the device.

Kevin, you suggested turning MAC filtering off. Which of the three
routers should I do this to? I take it that it's a simple thing to find?

I have not given up yet, but I am not optimistic that I am going to
get this set up anytime soon.

Thanks again for the help. Happy New Year!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ron, Netgear reccomends using a PC to configure the device before doing anything on a Mac. From their web site, the default IP is definitely 192.168.0.102, so the PC side should see it. Perhaps try a reset and then see if the PC sees it?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Also, Ron, make sure your Mac is connected to one of the ethernet ports on the Netgear print server, and has a 192.168.0.x address (other than 102). It does not appear that the Netgear has a web interface, since I cannot connect to mine at all via a browser, even after it is configured. If you are going to have any success configuring the device, it's going to be using the setup utility on the Virtual PC of your Mac.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Scott,

That's a new suggestion. Make sure my MAC is connected to the
NetGear print server?

You do realize by doing that I will have to disconnect it from the
Internet line temporarily.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
You're supposed to connect it directly to the computer when you set up the device. Once it's set up, then you connect it to the network.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,

See there are now differentiating opinions on what to do.

First, I am told to hook the Netgear to my Apple Router which
is transmitting the wireless signal.

Then, another tells me to hook the Mac directly to the Netgear device
which doesn't make sense since I will have to disconnect the Internet
feed.

You tell me to hook the Netgear directly up to the Mac. By what Method>

I do have a USB cable I can run.

I

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I'm not 100% familiar with your device, but almost all wireless devices need to be setup first before connecting to your wireless network. You basically connect to the device directly to the computer, let the setup see the device (via the software or browser), tell it what settings it needs to know, save the settings in it's memory, then when you disconnect it from your computer it will know how to access your wireless router.

In it's default state, it doesn't know how to connect to your router. The setup will allow you to plug in all the variables (including any security passwords). Once you set that up, you should be able to plug any device (that has an ethernet out) into it and it will use the bridge to gain access to your wireless router.

I just checked the instructions on hooking your model up as a wireless print server and that is how they recommend installing it (i.e. connecting to the computer first and running the setup CD).Use an ethernet cable from the Mac to the device. Once connected that way, the setup CD should recognize it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,

Will the Netgear be recognized if I hook it up via USB to the Mac?

Hooking it up directly to the Mac via ethernet doesn't sound correct.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ron, it won't see it via USB.

Yes, it does sound a bit odd to connect it via ethernet, but that's how most wireless devices are configured. I had to conenct all 4 of my devices up to my PC first to set them up.

I think what may be confusing you is that the device has a USB connection. Your bridge is meant for printers. That USB connection is to hook a USB printer up to. It's not meant for network connections.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

Ron, sorry to hear your having so much trouble.. it appears that these things aren't as compatible with MAC's as one would like. When I talk about MAC filtering, in my Dlink Router it has a setting for Network filtering. Basically I'm telling my Router to only allow my notebook, PS3, Wii and Print server to be allowed to talk with the router. So I had to turn that feature of for a couple of minutes till I setup the Print server, then turned it back on.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have to go back to work tomorrow so the possibility of having
the time to further sit and troubleshoot this situation will be put
off till next week.

I received this response on one of the MAC forums. Not exactly
sure if this will work for certain but I thought I would run it by you
prior to trying it...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Yes, Ron, I realize that your Mac will lose its Internet connection by doing this. However, your Mac does not need to connect to the Internet in order to configure the Netgear print server -- it only needs to connect directly with the device, via the setup software and an ethernet connection. Also, as Mark stated, the USB ports cannot be used for configuring the device. Those ports are for USB printers -- remember, this is a print server.

If you cannot run the setup software on your Mac's virtual PC, I'm afraid you will not be able configure the Netgear device. I cannot connect to the Netgear via a browser.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Netgear definitely recommends using a PC, but if you are unable to connect from the virtual PC side then there may be some bug/issue in using virtual PC.

Ron, do you have access to an XP machine? I'm not sure about the response you quoted last, but it seems like connecting with a real PC is your best bet (or, at least, getting your virtual PC side to work).

Did you try using the ethernet cable and connecting to the device from your virtual PC? Like Scott said, you don't need an internet connection to connect to the device so don't worry about the temporary loss. If it's working properly, the PC will see the device over the ethernet cable. You should be able to type in 192.168.0.201 into a browser and the device will show up (it will probably ask you for a password).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

This Netgear print server does not appear to respond to a request from a browser. I get a network timeout when attempting to browse to its address on my home network.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
ronshit_netgear.jpg">_ _ Guys, we are almost there._ _ Hooked the Netgear directly up to the Mac desktop vie ethernet_ and typed in the following...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Congrats Ron! I'm not sure if you need to do anything else. It sounds like it should be ok. A good test would be to disconnect the device (i.e. unplug the ethernet cable), get your Mac back up on the network and type in the IP address again and see if it shows up. If so, it looks like you should be all set.

Oh, one other thing...if the device had a default password for gaining access to the configuration page, I'd recommend changing it. I know people who do scans to see if they can gain access to wireless devices (mainly routers) and since they all have a default password, it's easy to get in and screw with settings....I even know someone who changes passwords so that the user no longer can gain access to the device again (without resetting it).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,

How would you suggest I hook up the Netgear to test this?

I did hook it up to my Tivo unit across the house and Tivo
could not recognize the home network.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, is the Netgear device set up for DHCP or does it have a static IP? I set up my Wireless Bridge with a static IP and let my ReplayTV get access via DHCP. I think I had to setup the bridge with a static IP because the ReplayTV would have a hard time finding the bridge when it was DHCP'd.

I just looked at the Netgear manual for your device and it does mention that the device is DHCP'd for initial setup but will be changed to a static IP furing setup, so you should probably select a static IP.

Try changing the IP to a static IP (in the "IP Settings" area) with the proper subnet mask and gateway address. There should be a "Suggested Values" button which will pick out the best address to use for your network.

Then make sure your Tivo is setup for DHCP and see if it works that way.

Users who are viewing this thread