What's new

Why (1 Viewer)

Why when I connect my audio RCA cables from my sat rec directly to my tv it hums, but if connected to my av rec it sounds normal. On 2 diffrent kind of recievers upstairs and down.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Uhhhh...a more descriptive subject line might give you better response.
A HT system often gets a humm from CATV coax. Do you also have CATV hooked up? Wire it so you get the humm, then disconnect your main CATV cable. Does the humm remain?
There are a few ways to solve this.
The other source of humm is a ground-loop caused by plugging your equipment into different outlets, but this usually happens when you have 2 amplifiers (like a receiver and a self-powered sub).
You kind of need to narrow the problem down a bit.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
This is the same TV? If so, then I think that the TV connection is shorted. Sorry!
If you're feeling brave and follow all of the safety precautions, you could open it up and probably fix it in less than 10 minutes, but be advised that just because the TV is unplugged there is still about 20 thousand volts just waiting for a willing body part! It really smarts - oh, and can kill.
Glenn

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like the short is in the T.V. Try it by hooking up the audio connections from the VCR and see if it hums. If it does, their's you proof.
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks