Why would my speakers work with one receiver but not another one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyVX, Jan 20, 2002.

1. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Hello,

I have an older pair of Monitor Audio speakers hooked up in my bedroom, but I wanted to see what they would sound like hooked up to my HT.

So, I hook them up to my HT receiver, but I get nothing out of them. Not one sound...not even static.

I'm guessing this is a receiver problem(so I posted in this section), but what could the problem be? I doubt it has anything to do with the speakers since they work with the receiver in my bedroom.

Anyone have any idea's?

Thanks.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That sounds really weird. What receiver and how were they hooked up?

3. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

It sure is weird isn't it [​IMG]
    Well, the receiver that they work on is a Sony Stereo Receiver and the receiver that they don't work on is a TEAC DD/DTS Receiver.
    The speakers were hooked up in both cases with regular speaker wire. I double checked to make sure that I didn't have the polarity reversed, so that isn't the problem.
    Both receivers can handle speakers that are 8-16ohms. So I don't think it has anything to do with the ohms-rating of the speakers.
    (Just so you know, I don't actually know what the rating of the speakers are. Since they are older speakers, the glue that must have been holding the label on must have lost its stick...so there is no label on the back letting me know wattage, ohms, etc.)
    What I did to try and A/B them at first was hooked up one of the Monitor Audio speakers to speaker output 'B', and left the others in speaker 'A'. But I got nothing out of it. Confused, I hooked one of the Monitor Audio speakers into the left channel of speaker 'A' and left the right speaker. But, no dice.
    Anyways, I'm totally dumbfounded right now.

4. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Did your Teac have speakers hooked up before you wanted to try the MA's on it?

5. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Yea, the Teac is what I currently use for DVD's, and my game consoles.

Well, I'll try messing around with it again tonight and see what happens.