Why would my AMP make these noises?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tim L, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I am currently using a B&K Ref.%0 with B&K 200.7 amp-tonight while watching a movie I noticed static like noises coming from the left surround and left front speakers- during the whole movie- when I power the AMP off it emits a high pitch whine that slowly gets quite then a POP comes form the speakers- when i Power it back up it emits the high pitch whine (like a takeoff) in reverese -getting louder. I have it hooked up to a Monster 5100 line conditioner. It was fine yesterday now this-honestly I'm afraid to turn the damn thing back on- Idon't know if it will damage my speakers. Does anyonehave any input to what it may be? Any help will be much appreciated, thanks
    Tim

2. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like a amp problem, but to make sure do the following:

Disconnect the pre-amp from the amp, and just power on the amp, does it still do this?

Is the amp still under warranty?

3. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

I would call B&K Tech support. They are very easy to reach and helpful.

I'm not using the same amp as you but I have a B&K ST2140 powering my mains. When I turn it on there is a slight whooomp sound. When I turn it off there are three or four gentle whoop whooop from my speakers bass drivers. Definitely nothing like your describing.

I wouldnt use the amp until you talk to somebody at B&K no point risking damage to your speakers.

I hope you get it worked out.

4. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Well it hasn't done it since- go figure- I think it may have had something to do with when my electrician came and cut power for a while- I just reset the Monster conditioner and its been fine- some dirty signals got in there somehow- this hobby make me mental sometimes. I will keep an eye on it- but hopefully it will be alright- besides I couldn;t really find any info on the web and such that resembled my problem.
    Tim

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Jason,

Have you contacted B&K about the whoop whooop issue? I was over at someones home who had a B&K set up (I don't remember the model numbers) and don't remember hearing this. It's something I'm sure I could have missed, but this guy never mentioned it, and I'm just curious if it's something that B&K amps just do.

6. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

yes I did contact B&K they just said they would take it in and look at it no problem- but now I'm not sure its necessary. The only noises that B&K amps make (i think its actually the preamp) is a slight click when switching between modes etc. because there is no muting circuit built in the preamp (ref.50). That is no big deal to me-what I heard was something altogether different- but I am unable to get it to repeat- which is a good thing. I am haviing electrical work done in the house (lights, alarms etc). so who knows-it never did it before the work started. As for the B&K set up the sound is awesome- no complaints- movies and music really shine and come alive.