What's new

Why would I need DVI/HDCP? (1 Viewer)

I bought a Panasonic plasma display which can be upgraded with a DVI/HDCP module. I've read some technical articles on this but I'm still not sure exactly I would need it now, in the future or ever. I don't want to not get it and then need it later when it is no longer available for my display. Is there any advantage to having this interface for the near term? Will HDCP eventually be mandated? And wouldn't that make a lot of existing equipment unusable? I'm looking for some laymen type opinions on this topic and not just being pointed to more techical white papers.

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
If you ever decide to build a HTPC, you can use the DVI interface for better video quality. I have even seen a few new standalone DVD players with DVI.

Just like going from composite to S-Video, or s-video to component video, DVI is just considered the top video quality interface by many people.

If you plan on HDTV, I would definitely want the DVI input for the video quality.

I use it with my projector, and there is definitely some improvement from VGA. It is night and day from S-Video, but with my projector, that is due to the connection and the fact that with the DVI connection the projector does not do the scaling, it is all done by the HTPC. With S-Video, the projector has to scale the input to XGA, and it does not do as good as the PC. Not sure if this concept would apply to your TV. . .

you might want to post your question over at www.avsforum.com too, just for more input.

Hope that helps,
Brian

TimForman

Supporting Actor
High-Definition DVD is coming and will use the DVI interface. It's not too far off anymore as they've finally settled on a standard. It's in use now in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks