What's new

Why would I need a multi-disc DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
I don't get it. Why would I need 5 discs at once? I can only watch one movie at a time and I wouldn't watch one movie so frequently that it needs to be immediately available. Am I missing something?

Mike Pollmann

Stunt Coordinator
I think the most popular use of a 5 disc DVD changer is for people who use the same player for audio. 5 CDs, 5 DVD-Audio discs, or a mix. It's also handy for multi-disc movies, or if you're having a movie marathon.

- Mike

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I use mine all the time. I usually have one disc from a tv series that I'm watching in there, and an audio cd or two. I usually have two spots open for a two disc DVD set.

Kevin Co

Grip
It's quite handy. I keep my AVIA disk in there full time. Right now I also have the 2 disc LOTR set and "Elmo Visits the Firehouse" for when my 1 year old decides he's had enough of my veiwing tastes.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Are there any that will actually play all 5 discs straight through with no intervention, or do the stupid menu systems on most discs screw that up (going back to the main menu after the movie instead of to the next disc like a regular CD)?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
You do have to mash a button or two on the remote to change dvds, not a major effort.

I saw no use for a changer until I got one, now I wouldn't go back to a single disc player. They're great for multi-disc sets like LOTR EE, TV series sets, or the Godfather set.

I currently have a 5 disc Panny and a 7 disc JVC both connected in my system. I can load 'em up on Friday and be good to go for an entire 3 day weekend.

If you need progressive scan and scaling of non-anamorphic widescreen is not a must-have, look for a leftover Panasonic CP-72, same guts as the RP-82. If scaling is a must then go with a JVC. Overall pq only falls down in comparison to the Panny on a few poorly mastered discs, though video based stuff is also a bit soft compared to the Panasonic.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Sometimes you're just too lazy to get up for the next movie.
I agree! I often watch 5 movies in a row or listen to 5 cd's in a row, and, with having to get up every 20 min for another beer and every 10 min to take a whiz, why get up to change the movie or cd too?

Mark All

Second Unit
I use one 5-disc DVD/SACD player for SACD listening only, and one 5-disc DVD player for video. I tend to only put one movie in the changer I use for video at a time, but two or three of the other slots usually have TV show discs (Monty Python, All in the Family, Band of Brothers, The Civil War, X-Files, etc). More and more old TV shows are being put on DVD and I find a changer to be very useful for those. Depending on my mood, I vary what I watch and change discs at the end of a week. The changer gives the ability to do this without having to do anything when I get home after a long day but sit down and use the remote. I also use a couple of 400-disc CD changers.

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
A 5-disk player, what a "quaint" idea! I kinda skipped the whole carousel concept. First, for the 6-disk magazine, then to the 100-disk changer. I now own 4 Sony disk changers, 2 400-disk cd changers linked together. And a 300-disk cd changer linked to a 301-disk cd/dvd changer. Only 2 remotes controlling these 4 units and all these selections. Once you get used to this much control, you won't go back! And as the collection keeps growing,you keep adapting!!! I have a stack of at least 100 more dvd's that need to be loaded somewhere!!! It may never end!!!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I don't use my carousel DVD changer for CDs, but I do use it for the occasional DVD-Video music disc. What I like to do is load up a few DVDs and view a scene or two from a couple discs before starting up the actual movie my fiancee and I want to watch. In that way, it's like we are getting movie previews before watching the feature film. :) We will sometimes watch a couple music videos off a DVD before starting the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks