Why would Barry Bonds accept a one-year contract?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

May 6, 1999
    Instead of accepting the Giants offer of $72 million over 4 years, Barry Bonds has agreed to salary arbitration with the Giants. He will likely make in the $20 million range, but only for one year. He is 37 years old. Baseball owners are losing money and salaries may be coming down (although I'll believe it when I see it). Is Bonds so sure that he can have another fantastic year that teams will be eager to sign a 38+ year old player to a multiyear deal?

If he were to hit .293 with 40 homers and 104 RBI (his averages for the last three years) next year, I can't see anyone offering him more than $30 million for a 3-yr. contract. (Moises Alou, whom I consider nearly the same caliber of ballplayer --and who is younger-- just signed for $27 million over 3 years.)

Am I missing something?
  2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Apr 1, 2000
    Quite frankly no one but the Giants seemed to be interested in Bonds.

Although he has accepted arbitration he can still negotiate a contract with the Giants and sign it at any time.

My guess is that he'll end up with something similar to what they already have offered.
  3. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Nov 14, 2000
    I wonder the same thing. Seems to me a bit foolish to expect a year as good or better than the year he turned in. And I can't imagine the market getting any better from a player's perspective in the coming years. What possible advantage would there be in making this deal?

Maybe Patrick is right and no other teams are interested in Bonds. As much as that would impress me, the cynic in me doubts there wasn't at least one serious taker willing to sacrifice team chemistry to shore up their 3-spot.

But if Patrick is right, then dammit, that's good news indeed!