Why would a speaker have a frequency of up to 50khz?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I was just browsing the Technics website and I noticed a speaker called the SB-AFC410. It claims a frequency response of up to 50khz(-16dB). My biggest question is why? Why would anyone want to have these frequencies played back. I mean we could not hear anything above 20 khz. I know with bass that sound below what you can hear can still be felt but what benefits would such a high frequency range have. I also notice they gave the response with -16dB while the Paradigm titans I am going to buy are around 60hz-18khz with only -2dB. Are the specs for this Technics speaker misleading?

2. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I asked the same question in the Speaker Forum about a month ago. Some people think it's a gimmick, while others state that although we can't hear the higher frequencies, they do affect the way we hear the frequencies we hear. Here's a link to the thread...
    Why do Sony Speakers have such a high freq response?

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

because it means the driver is fast enough to produce a 50 Khz wave then it will have no problem making the 50 Khz overtones on instruments. Music ain't all sinewaves ya know. if it was every instrument would sound exactly the same. [​IMG]

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Did you know that actually every musical note can be expressed as a summation of sine waves?

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yeah, but if you can't hear above 20 kHz, those overtones aren't going to matter anyway...
    "Bragging rights" I say... [​IMG]
    A lot of amps and pre/pros and such will now specify freq response from say 20 Hz to 50 kHz -10 dB or something. That's a BS statement in my opinion. I want to know 20 (or even 10 Hz) to 20 kHz.