Why would a DVD not work in a DVD player but does work in a DVD-ROM drive?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gary Cliff, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Gary Cliff

Gary Cliff Stunt Coordinator

I have a DVD that freezes up at a certain spot when played in my DVD player, but it plays fine through that spot in the DVD-ROM drive of my computer (in fact, I have 2 DVDs for which this is the case). There does not appear to be anything on the surface of the DVD that would cause the problem with its playing in the DVD player. I was wondering if the DVD player is more sensitive than the DVD-ROM drive, or if the DVD player is on its last legs (it is about 5 years old) and these problems are just an indication that it is about to die.

2. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Gary, I have the same problem with The Wicker Man DVD. Thought it was a defective disk somehow but the replacement did the same thing. The third purchase seems to be ok for now, although I had the first disk a good six months before the problem started. No idea why this would happen though. [​IMG]

3. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

Those early DVD players are more "sensitive", although it's usually described more along the lines of "less compatible" than later generations.

I don't know what the DVD is, but if it's not inappropriate, you could try to copy the disc on your computer and then play the copy on your DVD player. Just a thought.

4. Robert Duncan

Robert Duncan Auditioning

You did not identify your DVD player. I had an earlier Toshiba that did not like certain DVSs. Most notably anything with DVD-ROM content (i.e. PC features). It was a software problem in the DVD player microcode.

There was a software update that Toshiba installed for free. I did have to pay shipping to the service center and it took about 5 weeks to get back to me.

I have heard of some players that can update their software from a special service DVD from the manufacturer.