What's new

Why won't my new dish 508 pvd pwer off??? (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
After plugging it in, I heard the hard drive spinning, but when I pushed the power button on the front of the receiver, it would not turn off the light on the front. I thought I heard the hard drive shift down, but...........
Could it be damaged or did I do something wrong? I just picked it up yesterday.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Satellite receivers never turn off. The "power" button just cuts the audio and video outputs off. Everything else inside is still working, recording scheduled shows, downloading guide information, etc.

-Robert

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
After plugging it in, I heard the hard drive spinning, but when I pushed the power button on the front of the receiver, it would not turn off the light on the front. I thought I heard the hard drive shift down, but...........
Could it be damaged or did I do something wrong? I just picked it up yesterday.
If this is a new unit, you should read the book... especially the part pertaining to new installations.

The first time a 508 is connected to the dish and powered on, it must stay undisturbed for about 10 minutes, while it downloads the latest software from the satellite and initializes the drive.

Once the latest software is installed, the drive is initialized, and the unit is authorized, it should begin to function normally.

While its true that a satellite IRD is never truly "off," powering it down should turn off the decoder and video outputs, and the light should go out. The hard drive will spin down several minutes later. The guide data is always downloaded after a power-down, which is why the drive stays active for a few minutes. You may also notice that, if the unit is OFF, it will power up and do a self-reset shortly after midnight, and download the latest guide data. If the unit is ON, it will do nothing, except...

If the unit is left on, the default setting is for the drive to spin down if, between 12:00M and 4:00A there has been no remote input for a few hours.

This self-reset and hard disc sleep behavior is new with software version P199.

-Scott

Brad Newton

Second Unit
It has never been connected to the dish. I just plugged it in before I removed the old receiver, to make sure that it would power on. So it should be ok after I hook it up to the dish & it downloads the required information.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The fan and hard drive will continue to run and make some noise after you turn it off. IT is cooling down, and downloading guides/upgrades/ etc. My 501's light does turn off, if you shut it off while viewing live tv. if you try to power down while time shifting, it will ask you to switch to live tv before powering down.

The fan noise and hard drive should stop making noise a few minutes after shut down. From time to time, Ill walk by my reciever and hear it working, even though it is shut off. I assume its downloading info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks