Why won't my new dish 508 pvd pwer off???

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brad Newton, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

After plugging it in, I heard the hard drive spinning, but when I pushed the power button on the front of the receiver, it would not turn off the light on the front. I thought I heard the hard drive shift down, but...........
    Could it be damaged or did I do something wrong? I just picked it up yesterday.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Satellite receivers never turn off. The "power" button just cuts the audio and video outputs off. Everything else inside is still working, recording scheduled shows, downloading guide information, etc.

-Robert

3. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

4. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

It has never been connected to the dish. I just plugged it in before I removed the old receiver, to make sure that it would power on. So it should be ok after I hook it up to the dish & it downloads the required information.

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    The fan and hard drive will continue to run and make some noise after you turn it off. IT is cooling down, and downloading guides/upgrades/ etc. My 501's light does turn off, if you shut it off while viewing live tv. if you try to power down while time shifting, it will ask you to switch to live tv before powering down.

The fan noise and hard drive should stop making noise a few minutes after shut down. From time to time, Ill walk by my reciever and hear it working, even though it is shut off. I assume its downloading info.