What's new

Why WEA Is Likely To Stick With DVD-Audio (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
That reason is TimeWarner’s continued ownership of some of the intellectual property for DVD-Audio. Even without owning a vast empire of record labels TimeWarner could possibly rake in tens of millions of dollars on royalty money in the case DVD-Audio or a DVD-Audio flip disc becomes the music industry’s standard for the sale of prerecorded music.
I would take Audio Revolution musings as just speculation. I see no logic on this given that Time Warner is selling the company to a private equity team. They (Bronfman & Co.) are likely to do what they need to do to raise cash flow. I suspect they may re-evaluate the whole hirez market. I also expect many jobs will be cut, which may be a good thing for Warners long term viability.

We don't know how much of the DVDA intellectual property, if any, that Bronfman bought, or what agreements are in place. That Time Warner may still control patent rights would not seem to impact Bronfman's team at all unless some agreement is in place to keep the DVDA status quo and share those royalty profits.

I do wonder if DVDA could survive if Warner pulled out. If labels move to one standard that would seem to make it possible that hirez goes really wide.

...On the other hand, maybe Warner could come to Sony/Philips and try to get a dual standard established as a way to co-promote and extend profits on hirez.

At this point its all speculation. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks