What's new

Why water is the nicest drink available. (1 Viewer)

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Let's not get too technical here. It has three protons to offer, but after giving up one it rarely gives up the second as well and almost never gives up the third. Coke is fine. I get stomach aches when I drink OJ not coke. And I love both.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I love OJ, but do not drink soda of any type. I find that stuff just plain disgusting.
Peace Out~:D

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I get stomach aches when I drink OJ not coke.
I am the exact opposite. And you are right that the first proton is the easiest to remove; but the chemistry is much more complicated when you have all the other chemicals mixed in there. Like I said, I don't know about the various concentrations, but I do know that after a couple of cokes in the afternoon, the lining of my cheeks feels like it has been eroded.

Jason

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.
And the Hydrochloric acid your own stomach secretes has a pH of 1.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I love water, it's my favorite drink. I drink more than a gallon of it every day. Beer is my second favorite drink, especially during baseball season. And I'm not opposed to the occassional soda, I drink 2 or 3 a week.

This is about the limits of my chemistry education. But in the 6th grade we did a test where we put a cow's tooth in different kinds of soda for a month. Jolt (remember that?) took little more than a week to disolve it. Coke took a couple weeks for it to disappear. Orange soda just disolved it slightly and stained the tooth orange. 7UP didn't really have any effect on it. This was quite a while ago, so don't sue me if these aren't the exact results.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
And the Hydrochloric acid your own stomach secretes has a pH of 1.
Yup. The parts of me that really get the brunt of soda drinking are my mouth and throat. The pH in those places is more close to neutral. Plus, I do not know exactly, but I thought that stomach acid was not always just a pool of liquid sitting in your tummy. I thought that in order for it to be released in full force, there was a feedback response from eating. I could be wrong, though.

jason

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
What's the argument for Coke here? That frequently drinking soda has no effect on you? That it's no worse for you than water?

Does anyone really believe that?

I drink nearly a gallon of water a day, and have for many years. Appalachian spring water has to be my favorite, but normally I just filter tap through a Brita.

Todd

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
What's the argument for Coke here? That frequently drinking soda has no effect on you? That it's no worse for you than water?
Does anyone really believe that?
Hmm... no, and I don't think anyone said so either :rolleyes. The point is that trying to scare people with lies is quite insulting. It is no different from the "worship or go to hell scares" or similar stuff. And it works, unfortunately.
Really, the simple truth is that Coke can harm your body. There is no need lie to me for me to get it.
--
Holadem

Scott_G

Second Unit
I drink a lot of diet soda. Yes I mean a lot, like maybe five to eight a day. Take diet sprite for example. What's in there that makes it so different from water. Really it's just flavored water. Yea I know there's a few other things in there but so what.
If I could drink beer all day at work .. I would :)

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Free protons??!?
smiley_stupid.gif

All I can say is, you people must have studied chemisty in Utah under Pons and Fleischmann.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I actually heard coke being carbonic and some of the stuff in the syrup is good for settling stomach aches. In some countries if your stomach is upset their best remedy is to offer you a 7up.

Let's not get to hung-up on coke; water is the best for you an I rec'd people actively drink at least three large glasses a day. It flushes out the system, but even too much water (or any liquid) can be bad for you and get you high, by throwing your body out of balance and releasing ?endorphins I believe.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
How did I miss this thread up until now?

When I was much younger, I tried that thing with putting stuff in a glass of coke. It doesn't do squat.

Anyway, I'm with Ron-P on this one. Cheers!

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
COKE:
1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.
3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.
4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for sumptuous brown gravy.
8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.
For Your Info:
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.
2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.
3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!
Now the question is - would you like a glass of water or coke?

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Mountain Dew is bad for different reasons. Mostly it is the insane sugar and caffeine content. But it is not as acidic as Coke and won't dissolve the lining of your mouth and throat. :D
Oh, and John Miles what the hell are you talking about? Are you calling anybody in particular stupid? Or is there a point to your name calling?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
When I am sick and can't keep anything down I drink 7-Up. In fact a doctor told me to drink clear liquids or 7-Up. Need to get some sugar and that is just not in water. Oh and stop calling it soda!!! Its pop!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks