What's new

Why water is the nicest drink available. (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I've been an exclusive water drinker for a while now. I don't think I've had a soft drink in about 3 or 4 years, and I used to drink them compulsively. The main reason is that recently, the joy of water has become totally clear to me. Here are the reasons why I think water is the best drink out there:
1) Water isn't advertised in annoying adverts (unless you think babies dancing in a fountain is annoying :D) where a teenager accidentally murders his date's father, or where crappy pops stars like the spice girls sing some lame theme tune, or where stupid polar bears look at the aurora-bolialis (sp?)... oh wait, I actually like that last one.
2) You're body is made up of mostly water. So you're replenishing your stocks by drinking it. That ain't no bad thing.
3) Its totally clear, so you can be sure that you know whether theres a severed toe or ear lukring beneath the surface before you take a big gulp. :eek:
4) Bottled water uses minerals that have taken centureies to filter through scenic mountains ranges, giving you something thats, erm, good? Blah, blah, blah.
5) Theres a film called Waterworld in which lots of water is featured. So every time you take a gulp, you're getting a little bit of movie magic. ;) Its not like theres a movie called Coca Cola Kid or something!.... Oh wait. There is. Damn!
6) It's damn refreshing: a nice clean, cool thirst quencher.
It's got my vote!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Y'know, I believe Canada has the largest volume of fresh water in the world. With the cries of water scarcity looming in our future, I should become a water-baron, and get rich!

Yeah...evil Calvin grin...I can be rich...and rule the world.

* this post brought to you by the future water-baron of planet Earth. Suck up to me now!

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Actually they do advertise water. The cola companies have been selling them for a while now. i.e. Aquafina (pepsi) and Dasani (Coke)

Jon

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The Ron-P version.
Why Beer is the nicest drink available.
1) Beer is advertised in annoying adverts.
2) My body is made up of mostly beer. So I'm replenishing my stocks by drinking it. That ain't no bad thing.
3) Its totally not clear, so you can't be sure that you know whether theres a severed toe or ear lukring beneath the surface before you take a big gulp. After a few beers you would not notice anyway.
4) Bottled beer uses hops and stuff that have taken centureies to grow in scenic mountains ranges, giving you something thats, erm, good? Blah, blah, blah.
5) Theres a film called Beerworld in which lots of beer is featured. So every time you take a gulp, you're getting a little bit of movie magic. I wish....
6) It's damn refreshing: a nice clean, cool thirst quencher. Yep!
7) Beer is 90% water. Water never tasted this good.
Peace Out~:D

E

Eric Kahn

Y'know, I believe Canada has the largest volume of fresh water in the world. With the cries of water scarcity looming in our future, I should become a water-baron, and get rich!
Max Leung, check with your Gov first, I think canada passed a law prohibiting the wholesale export of fresh water, they have heard about our water problems for too long and don't want any of their own
now if you diguise it as beer, you can send as much as you want:)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
All I drink is water. And juice, on occasion. I drink maybe one or two soft drinks a year, if that... water is great. :) And I stay nice and healthy.

nousername

Supporting Actor
I got this in my e-mail a while ago:

Water or Coke? We all know that water is important but I've never seen it written down like this before.

Water:

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (Likely applies to half the world population)

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a U-Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should every day?

COKE:

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is - would you like a glass of water or coke?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
:laugh: this reminds me of that Calvin and Hobbes comic where he drinks to much water disrupting his water balanc ein his body, and he becomes this puddle..
then in reality he just really needs to go pee :D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Its totally clear, so you can be sure that you know whether theres a severed toe or ear lukring beneath the surface before you take a big gulp.
YOU'RE RIGHT!! This malady has befallen me three times in the last six months while downing ice-cold cola drinks! TWO fingers and a eyeball! I'm sick of it!!

Guess I'd better switch to that Clear Pepsi stuff!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
The cola companies have been selling them for a while now. i.e. Aquafina (pepsi) and Dasani (Coke)
I still can't believe they get away with charging $1.25 for tap water. (probably $15 at the local Di$ney/$ix Flags establishments during the summer.)
At least the other brands like Poland Spring offer water from a natural spring. Coke and Pepsi are sitting there grabbing water from the local faucets(re-purified sewer water in some areas), pouring it through a Brita, (if that much) and bottling it up for 100X the cost.
The advertisements fail to mention this fact. Apparently, they think it might have a negative effect on sales to tell the consumer "we sure suckered you." :D

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to mention, if you're sharing your drink with someone, water has the added bonus of allowing you to check whether theres any backwash! :D:emoji_thumbsup:

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Ron,you suck...make me want a beer even more.I have psoriasis and I am on methatrexate and cannot have any alochol anymore...I do have the occasional odules,but its just not the same....

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
It seems as though everyone mentions the acidity of Coke but how about orange juice, which many people tout as the healthiest drink? I know OJ contains more nutrients, but how does the acidity compare? Does it really matter?

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The above explained acidic effects of Coca Cola, believe it or not, are misleading and on some points, just plain false.
From my favorite online debunker, Snopes.com:
Origins: Many of the entries above are just simple household tips involving Coca-Cola. That you can cook and clean with Coke is relatively meaningless from a safety standpoint -- you can use a wide array of common household substances (including water) for the same purposes; that doesn't necessarily make them dangerous. The fact is that all carbonated soft drinks contain carbonic acid, which is moderately useful for tasks such as removing stains and dissolving rust deposits (although plain soda water is much better for such purposes than Coca-Cola or other soft drinks, as it doesn't leave a sticky sugar residue behind). Carbonic acid is relatively weak, however, and people have been drinking carbonated water for many years with no detrimental effects.
The rest of the claims offered here are, in a word, stupid. Coca-Cola does contain small amounts of citric acid (from the orange, lemon, and lime oils in its formula) and phosphoric acid. However, all the insinuations about the dangers these acids might pose to people who drink Coca-Cola ignore a simple concept familiar to any first-year chemistry student: concentration. Coca-Cola contains less citric acid than orange juice does, and the concentration of phosphoric acid in Coke is far too small (a mere 11 to 13 grams per gallon of syrup, or about 0.20 to 0.30 per cent of the total formula) to harm anyone, no matter how much Coke he guzzles. The only people who proffer the ridiculous statements that Coca-Cola will dissolve a steak, a tooth, or a nail in a matter of days are people who have never actually tried any of these things, because they just don't happen. (Anyone who conducts these experiments will find himself at the end of two days with a whole tooth, a whole nail, and one very soggy t-bone.)
The next time you're stopped by a highway patrolman, try asking him if he's ever cleaned blood stains off a highway with Coca-Cola. If you're lucky, by the time he stops laughing he'll have forgotten about the citation he was going to give you.
However, water is preferable to soda on any ocassion. I give thanks to the gods of water... without water my hangover this morning would be much more pronounced. :D
Joseph

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Brian,

It is not necessarily the pH of the Coke, rather it is the identity of the acid generating the free protons. Put simply, the citric acid in OJ is not nearly as harmful as the phosphoric acid in Coke.

Coke has phosporic acid (H3PO4), and is called a polyprotic acid. These acids are nasty because the aqueous chemistry involved gets kind of complicated. Basically it comes down to the fact that it is really difficult to buffer the acid and make it more neutral. Monoprotic acids like the one found in orange juice are not nearly as nasty because they only offer 1 proton to the solution. In summary, the pH of a solution is not the whole picture: the identity of the acid will say a lot about its ability to be buffered by another solution.

Sorry if this was too technical, but I took a whole heap of chemistry in college and grad school so I know a few things about pH and buffers.

Jason

[edit: I am not commenting on the concentrations of various acids in Coke, my post above is just trying to explain a little of why Coke feels more caustic than OJ, based on my little knowledge of aqueous chemistry. Also, I have no comment on the urban legends about secondary uses for Coke, but I did once measure the pH of Coke and titrated it with some NaOH, a strong base. The chemical composition of Coke makes is fairly resilient to buffering, but I was not quantitatively rigorous in my analysis.]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks