Why was SVS my second choice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry W, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

Here are the positive and negative points which made SVS my second chice when I bought subs-
    1-difficulty in getting decision from SVS to ship via Federal Express
    2-unattractive appearance and large size
    3-unavailibilty of built in amp until a later date on the new, improved models
    4-prompt response to e mails
    5-excellent customer satisfaction as evidenced by responses in forums from customers
    6-excellent record of non problematic units as evidenced by lack of complaints in forums about units received with difficulties
    7-positive Secrets Of Home Theater review but failure to take top honors given to Velodyne
    8-excellent price
    9-reported difficulties with Velodyne units
    10-neutral overall recommendation on Audio Asylum. AVS, and Audigon
    11-the impression that the SVS was great for volume but that you could do better when it came to the accuracy and musical abiltiy I was hoping to acheive.
    My first choice was ACI Titan LE II (www.audioc.com)To date I have no reason to regret my decision.
    Best regards-Henry

2. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I am picking a sub, could you list the reasons on your third and fourth choices so I can get more pros and cons than just on SVS, thanks.

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Henry,

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Titan. Many folks seem to like them alot! Thanks for mentioning positive things about SVS too. I'm not sure I'd read the review in question as "giving top honors" to the Velo but you would expect us to read it in our favor I guess :^) Except for some VERY subjective nods Brian gave to the far more expensive Velo on music, I think it was pretty much no contest. Ask Brian which sub he bought when it was all over why don't ya? ;^)

I know it took a couple e-mails to get it authorized, but if I recall correctly (it's been a while) the day after you asked us about alternatives to UPS we affirmed we would ship FedEx (at additional cost). Not sure how difficult that was but we did only dig our heels in on one thing...no FedEx Ground. I think we'd fold up operations at SVS if we ever had to use them as shippers again (our first year was with FedEx Ground, a very long year indeed). I don't recall you ever saying what your beef was with UPS. Not that it matters now but our experience with them (vice FedEx Ground) has been like a breath of fresh air. They certainly have their problems but NOTHING like FG.

Now FedEx AIR is a different story. A bit expensive for a box like an SVS though.

I see no reason you should ever regret your ACI decision, but we're ready to assist if you ever get a hankering to compare. You seem to have considered many important variables!

Ron

4. Henry W

My third choice was Velodyne. Here are the comments regarding Velodyne:

1-very expensive without offering significantly better sound than SVS and Titan subs

2-too many models to consider and test to find the right size

3-highly recommended by users and reviewers alike (considered the best musically and more than adequte in the volume area)

4-no active manufacturer's forum

5-available locally

6-problematic units, even the dealer had a defective one on the floor.

My fourth choice was Revel. Here are the comments regarding Revel:

1-very expensive without offering significantly better sound than SVS, Velodyne, and Titan subs

2-probably the best sub on the market

3-local dealer

4-once again, difficult to find the correct model to buy

5-no active manufacturer's forum

6-highly recommended by users and reviewers alike.

You might also wish to consider HSU subs especially if price is an issue.

Best regards-Henry

5. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

SVS-Ron,

Slightly off topic...Are Canadian customers requesting shipping by UPS, Fedex or other? IMO, I can't stand UPS for cross border (US to Canada) shipping because of their very high "brokerage" fees.

Dave

6. Kudret

Kudret Stunt Coordinator

DavidY,

I recently inquired about the very same issue. SVS-Tom in his reply indicated that they can only use UPS or FEDEX (not fedex ground. That's why I am currently looking for a used SVS from someone who is willing to ship with other than the two above.

7. Chris Zell

Chris Zell Stunt Coordinator

Lists like this can be very useful to those in the market. Good idea to actually write this out before buying - can sometimes make the right choice to buy more obvious.

This was interesting to me, since I do not own any of these subs myself. A few points that came to mind:

VELODYNE:

1. Some models are very small, and can fit physically and asthetically into rooms that larger and/or taller subs can't.

2. Not sure why it is harder to chose than other manufacturers, like SVS. People go crazy over all the choices they offer (10 models I think, 11 with the SS, not to mention the amp choices!). Actually, I don't consider this a bad point - the more models the merrier within reason IMO!! More likely you can find exactly what you want.

REVEL:

1. Hard to find the correct model to buy??? Only one you need to look at - B15. This is the easist to chose, not the hardest.

2. Built-in parametric EQ filters, plus software and instruction to properly set up the filters. This makes it the most user friendly sub I know of. This will probably make it sound better than the others unless you add in a parametric EQ and figure out how to set it up (not that difficult for most folks, but you gotta buy the EQ and interconnects).

What about your list for the ACI - I know nothing about ACI, so I'm very curious about the pros and cons. Do they make a lot of sub models?

Cheers,

Chris

8. Henry W

ACI makes one model with different finishes.

Best regards-Henry

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Henry- I got to admit, you opened my eyes to this sub. (Wasn't really aware of it before.)
    And, for "minimal distortion" freaks like myself:

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

There's probably a half dozen points where harmonics can be generated by a subwoofer. Be careful when assuming some *forward feedback/current* device is really going to do anything meaningful in this regard.

TV

11. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Nice job documenting the pluses and minuses of each product, Henry, it's a nice reference. And the Titan II looks really nice.
    Anyway, while this thread is active I have a couple of questions that have been making me wonder:
    1) How exactly does this 'feed-forward' error correction work? Isn't subwoofer distortion a bit complicated for just designing an amplifier to cancel it out? And isn't it cheaper to make a sub with less inherent distortion (SVS, etc) than making one with large distortion and trying to cancel it with fancy expensive technology?
    2) If there's any advantage to using a small sealed sub (capable of a bit less output) because it produces tighter, more articulate bass, don't these quality advantages get completely wiped out by the room and crossovers? Can normal people actually tell the quality difference between a well-made ported sub and a well-made sealed one?
    Maybe this is all because of size limitations... I guess my space isn't worth as much as that of some others. And that is a lot of questions. [​IMG]

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Jack- Except that by doing a (std) frequency, output, distortion graph, you do *not* see the distortion produced by a servo. (Not that I'm aware of, anyway.)
    You can get limited output, but the distortion is typically kept below a few percent (I'm talking Velodyne here; I'm more familiar with those). For typical subs, it's *easy* to get upwards of 15% distortion at low freqs/high output levels. (DB Keele's and Tom N's graphs.)
    Obviously, the best way, is to have low distortion inherent in the design (like SVS [​IMG] and Hsu Research), then you don't need any artificial "limiting".
    I did look through 2 of the ACI reviews, but I didn't see any measurements. [​IMG] Nice looking sub though.
    But, until SVS does a "big box" sub [​IMG], I don't think that there are a lot of options for low distortion cubes out there. Not any at a *reasonable size* I should add...