Why was Drazen Petrovic inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

He averaged 15 points per game in less than four NBA seasons, never won an Olympic gold medal, and was not the first European player to make an impact in the NBA. Was he elected solely because he died tragically in a car crash?

2. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

I couldn't believe it either when I heard it. I was in my kitchen and heard on the TV "Drazen Petrovic was also inducted". I ran into the living room and saw the International star thing on the TV. Sure, he was an international star. Depending on the requirements to get into the Basketball Hall of Fame, maybe he should be in, maybe not. If he was a baseball player, I seriously doubt he would have made it.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Brain,
    From what I read, Petrovic was inducted because he was the first European player to play effectively in the NBA which led to other European players to try the NBA. I know he was the first European player to play in the NBA All-Star game, but you never know what's behind Stern's marketing motives as to why Petrovic is the first in the Hall.

Crawdaddy

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

because it's good PR. which the NBA is in desperate need of. most of the news you hear about the NBA involves guns and million dollar babies whining about salary.

5. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

The NBA still isn't as bad as MLB about whinning about salary and million dollar babies. Actually I prefer the USBL for basketball! IF anyone gets a chance to check out a game it is very very good for the entertainment dollar!
    (we have a local team [​IMG] )
    But the NBA just hasn't been the same since MJ was in a Bulls uniform.
    Drazen was a good player but he was a average player, I doubt if he would have been a prennial all star though.
    His induction is purely PR.

6. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Drazen Petrovic ??????
    Danny Ainge had better get in now!!!
    [​IMG]

7. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

8. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Because sometimes it's about more than the numbers.
    NBA is trying to go global, with more and more European / international players than ever. Heck, even the US's loss in the world championships serves a purpose, in that other countries will now start to work harder at getting young kids into the games because the Americans are not "unbeatable" - yes, before you start I know that was our "B" team.
    If in 20 years the league talent level has increased because of international participation (which I believe it will since the concept of TEAM will hopefully come back in vogue rather than individual) then Drazen Petrovic will have had a big part of it.
    PS - I'm not a DP fan and had barely remembered who he was after hearing the news. But thinking about it, and the current state of the NBA malaise (no emphasis on team, all about DUNKS, DUNKS and MORE DUNKS - as a Clipper commercial put it) I think that hopefully international participation will make the game more pure. Try watching old NBA or NCAA games on Classic ESPN and watch the TEAM play, it's much better than what we see now. And if international players help bring it back to that, with crisp passing and true offensive schemes, then more power to them and to Drazen (RIP).
    My $.019 [​IMG]

10. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

The last time I checked it was called the basketball hall of fame, not the NBA hall of fame. I don't know the requirements but who really cares about numbers. He was a global superstar in the eyes of Europeans and a pretty good player in the NBA. He won two olympic silver medals which I think is pretty damn good. He made his impact and deserves to be remembered which is the reason we have hall of fames.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Neil, that's an excellent post and one that I concur with.

Crawdaddy

12. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I agree also Neil. Good post!

"Try watching old NBA or NCAA games on Classic ESPN and watch the TEAM play, it's much better than what we see now. And if international players help bring it back to that, with crisp passing and true offensive schemes, then more power to them and to Drazen (RIP)."

I can't agree more...well said! Carlo nailed it!

I'm a pretty big Indiana Pacers fan...but that has been dwindling over the past couple of seasons to say the least. I'm almost to the point where I can't stand to watch a NBA game these days. No longer is it a team sport...it's only player vs player...

Bring back the 85' Celtics....& RIP indeed Drazen Petrovich

13. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer