What's new

Why use two subs? (1 Viewer)

I'm considering purchasing another sub to run with my system. It would be placed like so

SPEAKER SPEAKER
SUB ___________TV______________SUB (PRESENT LOCATION)

What benefits would this have? Also, would having two subs up front be okay, or would it not have any real effect?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I am curious as well, I have not yet installed two sub anywhere, or been around a system that has two subs...

But with THX2 a reality and movie making audio engineers to start using the nearly insane frequencies more and more, I have sure been tempted to suggest and/or do this on many of my friends HT systems that still are running 10" and single 12" driver sub solutions.

David Judah

Screenwriter
It's a tough call because you could get more output from the additional driver, but you could also get cancellations and actually reduce bass ouput at certain frequencies if you're not careful. You could always put the subs together as close as possible to reduce that effect.

In different locations, you'll have to experiment and take alot of measurements, if you're so inclined.

DJ

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If you're gonna use two subs they would probably sound better stacked in a corner rather than L and R of the television. I've been using two stacked subs for over a year now and they sound great. When I first got them I experimeneted with different placements and whenever the subs were in opposite parts of the room they sounded like they were fighting for space and cancelling each other out.

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
You also got to consider the crossover frequency and whether they're front or bottom firing. The higher the crossover the more directional the sound. Any frequency below 60hz is more or less non-directional. And bottom firing subs tend to be less directional than front firing.

I use two front firing subs (Entec) placed next to each of my music speakers because I have them crossed over at 100hz (I have Martin Logans CLS2z electrostatics and they don't move a lot of air below 100hz). However, I also use the same subs for HT with a different set of speakers. Placement is more critical with music than HT.

I believe the farther apart the subs the more likely you are to begin cancelling certain frequencies because bass wavelenghts are over 20 feet. However, placing both subs together may overload a corner of your room making your bass sound directional. For sure if you're listen to stereo music with your speakers, you would not want to place the subs anywhere else but near the front speakers. And remember that nearly all bottom firing subs are designed to be a certain distance from the floor. Changing this distance may change the characteristic of the output, which may or may not be to your benefit.

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
If they won't be placed together (stacked or side by side), you will most likely introduce cancellation effects in some areas of the room. It is possible to place multiple subs in different locations but you will want to use some software to calculate the placement to ensure this won't happen.

Andrew*L

Agent
Joshua,

You may also want to consider selling the sub you have and buying 1 sub with the funds you get plus whatever you were planning to spend on the new sub. Having one higher quality sub might be better than two lesser ones. Its possible to get lower base extension, higher output, not to mention better quality bass. Also you won't have to worry about trying to integrate and position two subs:angry: .

Thanks for the responses. I have a bigger, nicer sub, but my current situation dictates that I use the 8" for now (and it's all I really need).

I decided to put it in the corner, and it sounds pretty decent. I'm going to stick with the solo bassola for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks