Why use a separate CD player and DVD player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mathew Shelby, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Is there really that much of a difference. Currently I am using my Toshiba progressive scan DVD player as my CD player. I would say I am 75% HT, 25% Music. Will I notice an improvement if I purchase a separate CD player? I am not really into DVD-A or SACD - (lack of selection in music genres that I like).

2. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

Well that's for your ears to judge. I can hear a big difference between my Cary 308T and my Yamaha DVD-S1200 and the difference is worth spending the money on a seperate cd player since i'm 90% music and 10%HT. Check out some players and see if it's worth it to you.

3. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

What would you recommend for a good music player? (under $500) I have all Polk speakers (no sub) hooked up to Harman Kardon AVR525.

4. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

You probably shouldn't spend the cash on a new CD player just because you MIGHT hear a difference. Try experimenting, borrowing a friend's CD player to use in your system, or buy from a dealer with a good return policy in case you don't like the player or can't hear a difference.

That said, I was in the same position as you, and found a major difference in sound from different player brands. I settled on a Sony SCD-C222ES, which sounds great and also has SACD playback.

5. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

A couple good cheap CD player options would be a Cambridge Audio D500 SE or a NAD 541i. Used there would be some more options such as an older generation Rega Planet.

6. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

A Sony 222ES can be had for less than $500 and you would SACD with it also.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

My rationale for using a separate CD player has nothing to do with sonics but with durability. With the exception of some ruggedly built flagship models, DVD players don't exactly set the world afire with their ability to withstand hours and hours of continuous use. Better, then, to use a separate dedicated player for music.

8. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

And if you ever want to watch The Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon you're gonna' need a stand alone CD player. [​IMG]

9. Tom S

Tom S Agent

I always like to have a dedicated CD player since my receiver can't read my mind on playback preferences. I like to use some DSP processing on my CDs, where as DVDs are stricly Dolby Digital or DTS. I hate have having to switch between different sound processing and settings going back and forth between CDs and DVDs

10. JamesKirk

JamesKirk Auditioning

11. david stark

david stark Second Unit

If you have the money to burn then why not give it to me [​IMG] alternatively instead of buying a separate cd player it may be worth looking at a separate stereo amp. I'm not familiar with HK amps so I couldn't say if it was any good for music or not, but I know my denon avr2802 is beaten to a pulp for music by amps costing half as much.

12. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

You can get a good deal on NAD refurbs at dmc-electronics.com. They have 521i cdplayer for $199 with good return policy. Try it in your system and see what you think...

13. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Mathew,

If you are using the digital connection between your DVD/CD player and your receiver, then you won't here any difference since it's the receiver doing the D>A conversion. If using analog connections for music, then you might hear a difference.

If you want to try it, buy from a store that will let you return it for a full refund if you can't tell the difference.

JimmyK

14. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

15. John S

John S Producer

I like the 300 disc changers myself for redbook (I think is the common term these days) cd's.