What's new

Why use a separate CD player and DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Is there really that much of a difference. Currently I am using my Toshiba progressive scan DVD player as my CD player. I would say I am 75% HT, 25% Music. Will I notice an improvement if I purchase a separate CD player? I am not really into DVD-A or SACD - (lack of selection in music genres that I like).

Scott_N

Second Unit
Well that's for your ears to judge. I can hear a big difference between my Cary 308T and my Yamaha DVD-S1200 and the difference is worth spending the money on a seperate cd player since i'm 90% music and 10%HT. Check out some players and see if it's worth it to you.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
What would you recommend for a good music player? (under $500) I have all Polk speakers (no sub) hooked up to Harman Kardon AVR525.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
You probably shouldn't spend the cash on a new CD player just because you MIGHT hear a difference. Try experimenting, borrowing a friend's CD player to use in your system, or buy from a dealer with a good return policy in case you don't like the player or can't hear a difference.

That said, I was in the same position as you, and found a major difference in sound from different player brands. I settled on a Sony SCD-C222ES, which sounds great and also has SACD playback.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
A couple good cheap CD player options would be a Cambridge Audio D500 SE or a NAD 541i. Used there would be some more options such as an older generation Rega Planet.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My rationale for using a separate CD player has nothing to do with sonics but with durability. With the exception of some ruggedly built flagship models, DVD players don't exactly set the world afire with their ability to withstand hours and hours of continuous use. Better, then, to use a separate dedicated player for music.

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
And if you ever want to watch The Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon you're gonna' need a stand alone CD player. :)

Tom S

Agent
I always like to have a dedicated CD player since my receiver can't read my mind on playback preferences. I like to use some DSP processing on my CDs, where as DVDs are stricly Dolby Digital or DTS. I hate have having to switch between different sound processing and settings going back and forth between CDs and DVDs

JamesKirk

Auditioning
What would you recommend for a good music player? (under $500) I have all Polk speakers (no sub) hooked up to Harman Kardon AVR525.
If you have $500 to spend, you may get better sound by adding a sub to your system over a CD player in addition to your DVD player. At least that's what I'd do. ;)

david stark

Second Unit
If you have the money to burn then why not give it to me ;) alternatively instead of buying a separate cd player it may be worth looking at a separate stereo amp. I'm not familiar with HK amps so I couldn't say if it was any good for music or not, but I know my denon avr2802 is beaten to a pulp for music by amps costing half as much.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
You can get a good deal on NAD refurbs at dmc-electronics.com. They have 521i cdplayer for $199 with good return policy. Try it in your system and see what you think...

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Mathew,

If you are using the digital connection between your DVD/CD player and your receiver, then you won't here any difference since it's the receiver doing the D>A conversion. If using analog connections for music, then you might hear a difference.

If you want to try it, buy from a store that will let you return it for a full refund if you can't tell the difference.

JimmyK

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Will I notice an improvement if I purchase a separate CD player?
I don't know about the sound quality, but there's a chance that you might with respect to the control layout.

There used to be a number of standalone CD players with a 20-track music calendar display and 10-20 track selection buttons.

I haven't yet seen a DVD player with similar controls; on mine, track order programming requires a TV set + remote, and is horribly painful.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I like the 300 disc changers myself for redbook (I think is the common term these days) cd's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lowamidtownsw