Why tweak DVD player picture settings?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Jan 20, 2003.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

What I mean is, once you've calibrated your display device with AVIA, is there any reason to tweak your DVD player's picture settings? Assuming you mostly watch DVDS anyway (like I do), once I've set, say color and black level on my TV set with AVIA, why would I further adjust the DVD player's color and black level settings? Shouldn't you adjust one or the other and leave the other alone?

2. James Zos

Uh...Did I not phrase my question well? Does anyone not understand it? I can't believe no one has an opinion on this.

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

James,

I think it has more to do with flexibility. If you only have one or two inputs on the projector or scaler then it would be nice to have adjustments on the DVD player as well.

4. James Zos

John, if I understand you, you're saying that some people might calibrate their player for DVDs, while calibrating their projector for another input source as well? I had thought it might be something like that.

Thanks for responding!

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

James,

That is my uneducated guess.[​IMG]

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I don't really know... I'm waiting for one of those video experts to respond. I would think (just a thought) that you would just want to calibrate the TV, although I guess I hadn't really realized or noticed that you can tweak things on the player end, which confuses me, because then, if the DVD player is out of whack, everything else that you play on the TV will be funny, if you used the DVD player to play Avia, or VE. Wouldn't you ideally want to calibrate the TV off of a perfect source and then calibrate the player to match that or something? Then again, I don't really worry that much if cable TV or VHS is a little off, the DVD is the more demanding.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It is more demanding.

For the most part, most DVD players probably are best left at their "neutral" or "flat" settings. However, I've used the DVD player's controls to fine tune certain discs (including MGM's transfer of 2001, which needs massaging on all DVD players I use).

8. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

Jack,

I just purchased the anamorphic restored 2001 today. What tweaks do you typically have to do to it?

9. James Zos

Thanks for the additional responses!

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Heck, I wasn't even aware that you COULD tweak the DVD Player.

How is this done?

And are we talking "picture settings" (like on a TV): Contrast, Tint, etc.?

11. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well I know for me once i finally get HDTV i will have 3 component sources and only 2 inputs, this means i will ahve to use the same settings for my DVD player and my PS2 (tv settings that is) So what i will do when this day comes is calibrate my tv using the PS2 then run avia on my separate player and tweak the player settings to get the same great results. That way i will get the ebst results from both. If however the players adjustments are limited, i will likely just use avia on that and deal with whatever my PS2 puts out.

12. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

There is also another reason. Many of us have multiple dvd players routed thru our pre/pro's and A/V receivers for switching. Due to variance's in dvd playback between different models and the fact we have limited inputs/memory settings on our tv's it is sometimes necessary to tweak playback.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

My JVC XV-S65GD DVD player has video adjustment settings (just like those found in TVs) in the player's menu settings.

14. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

As I now have a projector, I will now be looking at what I can tweak on my RP-91 to allow for disk-specific augmentations. For example, I'm not overly thrilled with the Star Trek: TNG transfers on the big screen (and the later seasons were soft even on my 36" TV).

Doug