Why the SVS 20-39?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SusanP, Sep 14, 2001.

1. SusanP

SusanP Extra

I'll be ordering a svs sub very soon but I was thinking about the 16-46. It's only a few dollars more yet the 20-39 seems to be more popular.
    Isn't deeper or at least the ability to go deeper better?
    Cheers,
    Petunia

2. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

It depends on the volume of you room. For 1000~ to 2000~ cubic feet of room probably 20-39 might go lower that the 16-46 and give you more punch at lower octave.

3. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Go check out svs website www.svsubwoofers.com They have a faq in which they explain the differences between each model called "Which one should I get?"

4. SusanP

SusanP Extra

I have read the faq. I think my taste and my husbands SO's taste in music requires more extension. We listen to much classical, organ, and ethnic music with lot's of drums.
    Wouldn't the extra extension of the 16-46 be necessary? Or do you think the 16-46 is overkill? Will the the 20-39 do the trick? We don't listen to tons of organ music actually we don't even listen to much music except when we clean on weekends (which hasn't been for awhile :)) We mostly watch movies. My SO thinks now that DVD and HT is becoming more mainstream, producers will be creating tracks with heavier sounds and a bigger-deeper sub may stick around longer.
    Cheers,
    Petunia

5. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    quote: My SO thinks now that DVD and HT is becoming more mainstream, producers will be creating tracks with heavier sounds and a bigger-deeper sub may stick around longer.[/quote]
    BINGO!
    That is exactly why I went with the 16-46 and have been happy with my choice ever since. Of course I would have ordered a 12-54CS if they mad one [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover
    Donate to keep the Home Theater Forum up and running
    [Edited last by Charles J P on September 14, 2001 at 05:09 PM]

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I think the 20-39 is popular because it's aimed to the "blockbuster" crowd,but the 16-46 is more to the "organ Telarc" fans.
    Either one is a fine choice!
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"
    [Edited last by Lewis Besze on September 14, 2001 at 04:43 PM]

7. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I think the 20-39 is so popular because it is a good compromise between extension, SPLs, and sheer size.
    Not meaning to offend, but I would guess many of us have gone with the 20-39 because it was a compromise with our SOs who would think the 16-46 would be too darn big & imposing.
    I would recommend you go with the 16, particularly since you've specified organ music. If you also need high SPLs, then go with a twin config (I'd be sooooo jealous!).
    Jeff
    ------------------
    JTM

8. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

I went with the SVS 20-39PC based on a compromise between output and extension. The SVS16-46 will indeed go lower but you will loose approximately 2dB. This is not much, but it is 2dB.
    The difference is based on what you value more ... absolute extension or absolute volume. I felt that FLAT response down to 20HZ (and rolled off response below that point) was enough for me. I choose absolute volume
    Again ... you can have both worlds and get 2x16-46s.
    It sounds to me that your requirements are for absolute extension, so I'd lean towards the 16-46. Ron and Tom are the experts, so I'm sure if you provide them (SVS) with your room dimensions and room openings they'll recommend the best package for your needs.
    BTW, not all organ music goes down to 16hz, that's just the lowest an organ will play. Drums are normally above 30hz (I believe they are about 40-60hz). Movies are utilizing info below 20HZ more and more, but again it's not the norm. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Again it comes down to trade offs ... extension or volume.
    Cheers!
    Mass
    [Edited last by Massimo N on September 14, 2001 at 05:03 PM]

9. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Susan,
    I went with the 16-46CS exactly for the reasons you mentioned - I wanted the extension down into the really, really deep bass.
    The difference in height is not tremendous; 7 inches.
    I love having the extra extension on organ music - and any movie I care to throw at it. Just to have that underlying, very satisfying "something" to the music.
    Incidentally, I tried running it through a parametric for a while. I may have mistakenly "invoked" a brick wall filter at 20Hz (all sound was blocked below that), but the difference between running it with the brick wall filter and without was quite... substantial. Since then, I run it without the parametric...
    Bass in the 16-20Hz range underlying other music has to be experienced. I suspect you would not want to go back; I certainly wouldn't, and neither would my wife.
    Mike
    Mike

10. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Kinda off topic but something in your post was interesting Susan...you said "I think my taste and my husbands SO's taste in music"..so your husband has a SO other than you??? If so...he is my hero!!

11. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Damn....
    Brian beat me to it [​IMG]
    Susan, please explain what you meant, I'm curious how you, your husband, and his girlfriend get along so well [​IMG]
    J/K
    I have the 20-39 and I'm still having trouble wiping the smile from my face....I love this sub, but I've never heard the 16-46. I have an 1100 cubic foot room and it takes care of us just fine. However, my wife told me yesterday that I could pick up a CS-Ultra for my 30th birthday (it's two weeks away!)
    Jeremy

12. SusanP

SusanP Extra

My Husband's So??
    Well being from Utah and all :)
    I guess I forgot to erase Husband. I was thinking it might be more hip if I just said SO. That way y'all might not know what to think - SO could be anybody man, two men, woman etc...
    I guess I figured I get less help if you knew I was married. My SO reads this board too but he's too much of a wussie to write his own questions. He's afraid he'll ask "something a man should know"

13. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

I have the 16-46. I asked Tom to send me some custom ports that would allow me to experiment with the 16hz tune, the 20hz tune, and 25hz tune. After going back and forth between the various tunes for about a year, I think the 20hz tune is the best of the 3. The 16hz tune has a very "enveloping" feel, but it is, IMO, too smooth. It misses out on that "kick you in the chest" factor. The 25hz tune has the "kick you in the chest" factor in abundance, but it really loses out on the deep enveloping feel, almost menacing type of bass the 16 hz tune has. The 20hz tune is the best of both - very percussive when needed, and very deep and menacing and enveloping when necessary. JMHO. . . .

14. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

15. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

16. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

Susan,
    Will you marry me? [​IMG]
    How `bout we just trade? My wife wouldn't mind a big geeky wuss. I'm a big geek, so the wuss part would just be icing for her... and then she wouldn't have to deal with all of my "annoying" hobbies.
    Jeff
    ------------------
    JTM
    [Edited last by JeffMuller on September 17, 2001 at 09:24 AM]