What's new

Why the lower prices for Blu ray UK sets VS US? (1 Viewer)

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
When the ALIEN set came out and was kind of pricey for my pocketbook I was looking for bargins and was eventually pointed to the UK set which was signifigantly less and I got it after I was assured it was region free. It worked out fine.
I hadn't thought much of it until the same thing came up with the Universal Monsters and Hitchcock sets. Pricier here, much less at Amazon UK. Both sets are promised to be region free. I have the Universal Monsters coffin set from the UK and am pretty happy with it.
So, how come these UK sets are signifigantly less than the US versions when they (as far as I can tell) have the same content? The packaging differs is some ways but that is no big deal to me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Good question. Probably cheaper licensing fees?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've asked this question before and no one seems to know for sure. Not every movie is significantly cheaper, but the two mentioned here are prime examples a big difference in price.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
In addition to the box set costing more in the US, the box is the only way to get any of the movies at all, none are for sale individually. While on Amazon UK most, if not all, are available individually.
It seems they are more willing to gouge US customers than European customers.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Johnny Angell said:
In addition to the box set costing more in the US, the box is the only way to get any of the movies at all, none are for sale individually. While on Amazon UK most, if not all, are available individually.
I suspect it's due to economies of scale. The discs in those box sets are manufactured for sale throughout Europe and overall probably sell in larger quantities than those manufactured solely for sale in North America - hence cheaper to manufacture.

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
[quote name="Johnny Angell" .

US customers have it pretty good compared to Canadian customers. Here are some examples from today at Amazon USA and Amazon Canada.

Dial M for Murder 3d/2d blu-ray, $24.99 (US), $43.99 (Can)
Eating Raoul blu-ray, $29.99 (US), $39.99 (Can)
Universal Classic Monsters blu-ray, $111.99 (US), $132.99 (Can)
High Noon blu-ray, $20.93 (US), $26.99 (Can)

These aren't random examples, but rather blu-ray titles I want to purchase. As of today the American and Canadian dollar are pretty close to par.
I can purchase from the American site, but because I live in Canada, I'm charged shipping and import duties which usually pretty much eliminates any savings. This is probably not a coincidence.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Prices for Blu-ray and other goods are based on the economy. Other than Germany many European countries are on the verge of bankruptcy as well as having to cut vital services. Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal to name a few. Studios will charge the highest price the market will bear. American's are willing to pay slightly higher prices for the same product sold in Great Britain. Buy a region-free Blu-Ray player and take advantage of lower prices and titles not available in North American market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks