What's new

why the increase in THD levels on the new sony es receivers? (1 Viewer)

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
The new models are rated at 0.6%, as opposed to 0.09% on the previous models. Is the distortion level that much higher because of the digital amps or is it just a more modest, realistic rating?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure they're higher but in order to determine if 0.6% is a problem would depend upon more data such as the distortion distribution profile, the order of the distribution, etc. Nonetheless, it follows a generally disturbing trend of receivers that can't handle low impedance loads, have inadequate power supplies, increased distortion, elimination of pre-outs, and so forth.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I started out with a 0.005% THD Technics to a 0.05% THD Denon to a 0.1% THD Proceed and the sound only got better, So my advice is to ignore the THD number all together and enjoy the sound.

BTW my newest toy is an SET amp with 2.5% THD. Love the sound:D

Sebastien David

Second Unit
it definitely is because of the digital amp technology, as the entry-level model (STR-DA1000ES), which uses conventional amplification, has a lower THD rating than its big brothers.

by the way, I compared a Sony STR-DA2000ES with a Denon AVR-2803, which is about the same price, and the Denon sounded MUCH better, even to my undistriminating ears. Unless the Sony amps need lots of break-in (I would think they need LESS because of the digital technology), I would advise people to stay away for now.

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
most of these numbers are somewhat useless unless a graph is provided. for instance, my speakers at 50HZ jump to 64 ohms, between 5k and 10kHZ the impedance falls a little below 8ohms.

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
The reason I ask is because I'm up for a $1000 sony shopping spree from work. It's between me and one other guy. I figure this whould be the best way to spend the grand, as it would be an improvement over the 3 year old sony str-de835 I'm using now. I'm just always cautious of new products when they first come out, especially when it's not tried-and-true technology.

My other thought would be to add to the grand and get the 51" widescreen set I also want.

So, if ya'll could have the 3000es for free, would you be happy with? I'm not familiar with the digital amp technology and how well it will perform.

BruceD

Screenwriter
by the way, I compared a Sony STR-DA2000ES with a Denon AVR-2803, which is about the same price, and the Denon sounded MUCH better, even to my undistriminating ears. Unless the Sony amps need lots of break-in (I would think they need LESS because of the digital technology), I would advise people to stay away for now.
Since you didn't give any info on the room size or speaker type/load used with the Sony, your recomendation is rather irresponsible and certainly not useful.

I don't own any Sony equipment, but there are just too many people who don't agree with you. I think Chu does have it right though.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Kevin,
what type of speakers do you have? Do you know if they are rated @8 Ohms? What is the recommended minimum wattage input? Max wattage input?

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
BruceD, I've got DefTech ProMonitor 100's in front and back. I believe they are 4-8 ohms and 10-175 watts.

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
right, that's impedance. a graph showing harmonic distortion will show SPL vs. Frequency with 2nd harmonic and 3rd harmonic hopefuly well below frequenct responce of what is being measure. the point is your speakers are rated at 10% THD (not a bad number for a speaker) then .001 or .01 or even .1 will not matter a whole lot.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Nonetheless, it follows a generally disturbing trend of receivers that can't handle low impedance loads, have inadequate power supplies, increased distortion, elimination of pre-outs, and so forth.
This is a you get what you pay for scenario. If you spend >$500 you get no preouts etc(usually). I'm not so worried until it starts to affect the ~$1k category. So when the Denon 380X(insert any Number greater than 3 which is this years current model) starts to include no preouts etc, then we have to start to worry.

Please note, You might say "the new Sony digital amps don't have preouts" but that is a very unique situation. I think the digital amp movement is going to be slow going for a while. In fact this may make Sony decide to go back to a different design. The silver color(which isn't that great to most folks), and the lack of preouts is a deterrent to great sales. I doubt they are selling these like hotcakes right now.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Kevin,
I've got DefTech ProMonitor 100's in front and back. I believe they are 4-8 ohms and 10-175 watts.
Well this is harder to decipher. If the speakers are truly rated as 4-8 Ohms that is rather peculiar. Usually it is either 4 or 8 Ohms. If it is 8 Ohms you should not have any problems with the Sony. If in fact the DefTechs have significant output in the 4 Ohm range, this could identify them as a rather difficult load for the Sony to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks