why the increase in THD levels on the new sony es receivers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KevinW, Nov 10, 2003.

1. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

The new models are rated at 0.6%, as opposed to 0.09% on the previous models. Is the distortion level that much higher because of the digital amps or is it just a more modest, realistic rating?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I'm pretty sure they're higher but in order to determine if 0.6% is a problem would depend upon more data such as the distortion distribution profile, the order of the distribution, etc. Nonetheless, it follows a generally disturbing trend of receivers that can't handle low impedance loads, have inadequate power supplies, increased distortion, elimination of pre-outs, and so forth.

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I started out with a 0.005% THD Technics to a 0.05% THD Denon to a 0.1% THD Proceed and the sound only got better, So my advice is to ignore the THD number all together and enjoy the sound.

BTW my newest toy is an SET amp with 2.5% THD. Love the sound[​IMG]

4. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

it definitely is because of the digital amp technology, as the entry-level model (STR-DA1000ES), which uses conventional amplification, has a lower THD rating than its big brothers.

by the way, I compared a Sony STR-DA2000ES with a Denon AVR-2803, which is about the same price, and the Denon sounded MUCH better, even to my undistriminating ears. Unless the Sony amps need lots of break-in (I would think they need LESS because of the digital technology), I would advise people to stay away for now.

5. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

THD on a speaker would be useful. But I bet that number is high on all speakers.

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

7. Claude M

most of these numbers are somewhat useless unless a graph is provided. for instance, my speakers at 50HZ jump to 64 ohms, between 5k and 10kHZ the impedance falls a little below 8ohms.

8. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

The reason I ask is because I'm up for a $1000 sony shopping spree from work. It's between me and one other guy. I figure this whould be the best way to spend the grand, as it would be an improvement over the 3 year old sony str-de835 I'm using now. I'm just always cautious of new products when they first come out, especially when it's not tried-and-true technology.

My other thought would be to add to the grand and get the 51" widescreen set I also want.

So, if ya'll could have the 3000es for free, would you be happy with? I'm not familiar with the digital amp technology and how well it will perform.

9. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

10. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Kevin,
    what type of speakers do you have? Do you know if they are rated @8 Ohms? What is the recommended minimum wattage input? Max wattage input?

11. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

BruceD, I've got DefTech ProMonitor 100's in front and back. I believe they are 4-8 ohms and 10-175 watts.

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

13. Claude M

right, that's impedance. a graph showing harmonic distortion will show SPL vs. Frequency with 2nd harmonic and 3rd harmonic hopefuly well below frequenct responce of what is being measure. the point is your speakers are rated at 10% THD (not a bad number for a speaker) then .001 or .01 or even .1 will not matter a whole lot.

14. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

15. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Kevin,