What's new

Why the Fear Over Buying Used DVDs? (1 Viewer)

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Mark, you're obviously very well off financially. Some of us aren't so lucky. $5 is a lot of money. That's a meal. That's too much to throw away just for the "thrill" of having a DVD with no miles on it.

That's kind of a weird thing to say. I don't have any "psychological effects" when buying something used. None at all.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I though I was the only crazy one out there.
When I buy a paper, I almost always buy the copy UNDER the top copy, because, I guess, like you said, it seems "newer" or less exposed somehow, even though there's really no difference between it and the top copy, which was - after all - the copy UNDER the top copy just a little while ago.
I do that with dvd's,cd's, magazines and so on. I even did that with my chocolate milk this morning in my cafeteria at work. :) Am I becoming another Nicolas Cage?

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
That's being thrifty.
Exactly. I tip 20-25%. I like going to fine restaurants and taking my girl nice places. I'm not cheap. But I'm not going to be wasteful, even when I can afford to be. I clip coupons and I look for sales and I buy things used when there's no good reason not to.

The reason to not take the top newspaper has nothing to do with how many people touched it. It's because people will often ruffle through the top copy and steal the sections they want.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I will buy used for two reasons:

1. I buy used Warner Brothers titles at Hollywood Video so I can get printed cover art rather than a snapper case.

2. When I want to trade a used DVD at DVD resale shops.

Out of my collection Less than 10% have been bought used, but I have never had a problem. I do prefer new because of all the first week deals and quick price drops there is not that great of a differance in price. If WB ever gets a clue and ditches the snapper for good than I will start buying thier discs new again.

I have purchased hundreds of used DVD's from pawn shops. I keep noticing some of you going on about you will buy a rental but not one previously owned. Think about this. A rental could have been rented out anywhere from 1 time to over 100 times. How many of you own titles that you have only viewed once or twice and they have sat on a shelf since. That it is why I will buy from a pawnshop but refuse to buy from Blockbuster. I have found deals such as all 3 Sopranps for 40 dollars each. Criterion "The Rock" and "Armagaddon" 10 bucks each, and believe it or not "Back to the Future" collection 12 bucks. Hell yes I will buy used.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've been buying more of my DVDs used, usually stuff that isn't as much of a high priority, and may have a ton of extras out there available. I just feel I need to be smart about my hobbies, so that I can afford all that I want to get.

I also sell DVDs on Half.com for stuff that I pick up on a lark that I might not watch again. Sometimes, I break even, or even get ahead of what I bought it for...

Jason

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
This is all understandable. I've just had a lot of people call me "Crazy" because I buy all of my DVD's through Amazon. They tell me I am stupid for not looking for deals or using coupons...I don't know why people feel the need to berate me (not that anyone is doing it here per say) because I don't look for deals. Again, sorry for the lashing out, but I get this argument a lot and don't know why I am treated like some kind of "Freak" (or I'm odd) because of it. There's nothing wrong about wanting new.
I agree with you Mark. just because I could care less about price....does not make me an idiot. I NEVER look for deals, coupons or anything else....because I'm lazy and have no time to shop for the best deal. I'm building a personal, complete film library....for reference and enjoyment, anytime I choose. whoever gets me the dvd the fastest...usually wins. I have no problem paying a little more, for great service. I'm trying to run my biz and shopping for "used" deals will do nothing but waste my time. during the time it would take...I can be making another $100 bucks.

btw....I only spend TIP's that I recieve, on films. it's my only hobby and if I earn 100 to 250 every week in tips...it's easy to maintain. like I said already...if it's oop, rare and only ava. if I find it used...I'll consider it. it would have to be essential for my library.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Funny how so many people on these boards will buy "refurbished" hardware and then won't buy a "previously viewed" DVD. Reading some of these posts had me ROGLMAO. I can't believe so many people are that anal retentive about a piece of plastic. I guarantee you that I enjoy the used DVDs I have bought just as much as you guys enjoy your new ones. I don't buy ALL used, just about 10% of my overall collection of about 350. Lighten up guys, after all they are just DVDs.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Does anyone else find it completely unfair that people who buy used DVDs actually count those DVDs into their collection?
No offense, That sounds stupid. Sounds like you just need to compare your 1040 forms.

DVD collections are just that, collections of DVDs.

Does my Indiana Jones DVD set (which I paid $33.99 for) count less than some one's Indy DVD set who paid full price ($60 is the MSPR I believe)?

Does my used Terminator:SE count less? I paid $7.50 for it, but it looks and plays brand new, just didn't have an insert.

I'm proud that I didn't pay full price for 95% of my DVDs. The only DVDs I have that cost a pretty penny were Clerks (I paid $40 a long time ago, and was pissed when they "re-issued" them for $15) and Spinal Tap Criterion.

If he has a DVD in horrible condition then, maybe don't count that because it probable won't play. But what does it matter if your cousin want to save a bit of money, many people aren't super-rich.

Edit: I could understand this for used VHS since that's a format that deteriorates with each use, but DVDs are made to watch over and over again!

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
Mitch,

I'm not into the whole counting...mine is bigger than yours type thing. but since you are....I do see yer point. it would be frustrating within that type of competition.

people have said just because I post a link to my library...and have so many titles....that I'm just bragging and shoving in somebody's face. couldnt be farther from the truth. I'm constructing the perfect personal library for me. all my fav films which will be used for many years for enjoyment and reference. thats what a personal library is. call it Todd's very own historical collection, film style. collecting dvds is a no-brainer. right now it just goes along with collecting films and related media. I figure when all the wanted titles on my list is crossed off...I'll have around 1,800 to 2,000. who knows....I may even have 1 or 2 used dvds by then, although I doubt it. I'm pretty good at buying most of what I want the day of release. that backed with 6 or 7 catalog titles a week, keeps the films needed coming in. now....just wait till the import section starts to be the focus point!!! the point is...I just like sharing my titles with other people.

sorry for the ramble.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I guess I can understand this part at least. When I buy a paper, I almost always buy the copy UNDER the top copy, because, I guess, like you said, it seems "newer" or less exposed somehow, even though there's really no difference between it and the top copy, which was - after all - the copy UNDER the top copy just a little while ago.
I do the same thing with magazines, ill page through the on top, but buy the one on the bottom.

I also mostly buy new. I have most of the catalog movies that I like, so new releases are the majority of my buying. It’s really hard to find used copy's of DVD on there street date. :)

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I don't get the anti-used DVD thing.

For me. I buy many movies the day they come out and look for the best deal, why spend more than needed? Other movies I get turned onto or didn't really want to buy in the first place are perfect to get used. I am VERY picky about my collection and won't buy a used DVD without a good inspection. I wouldn't buy one without the original cover/case in good shape, and the disc needs to be in excellent shape. Basically, No one would know which of my movies were purchased used. But they are all used now!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
My house is used, same as the vast majority of home-owning Americans.

If you live in a used house, how could you turn up your nose at a used disc?

Me, I buy mostly new, but only because Columbia House helps keep my average disc price pretty low.

It's like the new car theory. There's not much difference between a brand new car and a car that someone's had for 3 months, but still, there's NOTHING like getting into a brand new car and seeing only 2 miles on the speedometer. Knowing that it is brand new is also a thrill. Sure it's not like the car has never been driven before...your example about the DVD workers in the factories is like the show room guy who drives the car to fill it up for gas before you pick it up. That really doesn't detract from the "New" feeling. With a used car, even if it's only 3 months old, it's still 'used' and just doesn't feel the same to me.
I buy used and new cars, but new cars kind of bother me. Quality used cars are typically more reliable. When I buy a new car I am always wondering what is going to break first. And always wondering when you are going to get that first door ding...

Not to mention the huge depreciation. If your budget allows for a new Honda, buy a used Lexus. Better performance for the money, better investment, less depreciation. :)

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Thanks to thrifty shopping and places like Columbia House, paying full retail price has never been an issue. Out of my 140 some odd dvds, all were new. I'd compare owning them to using the bathroom. All the little things in your own restroom, like scratches, finger prints or slight bends on your dvd cases, you know them, because those irregularities are usually your own doing. In a public restroom, you wouldn't sit on the toilet seat without an inch thick layer of toilet paper/sanity covers, because frankly you don't know who did what in there. Maybe it's a little extreme, but all I know is part of it's psychological, and the other part is just an ownership thing, having something that's new and "fresh". ;)

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Couple questions:

Mitch: You have very high standards for your collection (which I do respect) But what do you do if one of your DVDs gets damaged? IF the DVD gets scratched or the case gets dented, do you replace it or just not count it?

All: Do you count multi disc sets toward your count? Personally I wouldn't count 2/3 disc sets like Matrix Reloaded or Brazil's Criterion Edition as more than one title (since it's one movie and extras/alternate version of the same film) But what about trilogies like Indy/Back to the Future/Godfather? TV Seasons? Non-Film DVDs (Like Demo Discs, Extra Discs (like Best Buys' Indiana Jones 5th disc, or stuff that isn't the normal retail buy)

Maybe that second question needs to be in another thread.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

That's the craziest thing I've heard in a long time, and I live with a very crazy person. It makes you furious? Why? Is one of you going to get a prize for having the most DVDs?

I'm so glad I'm not like this. When you're as far gone as getting ANGRY over someone else's DVD count, you're beyond hope.

Mitch, why don't you just buy a bunch of those $5 Laserlight cheapos? That'll teach that scheming unfair cousin of yours who has the most DVDs!!!!

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
dvdaf counts them pretty much the way I like. the Godfather box is 3 individual films....counts as 3 titles. if there is an extra disc....it's usually only counted as a title if it's also ava. as it's own dvd. I like having a total for purchases and titles....with titles being the most important count.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Do you count multi disc sets toward your count?
Depends on how they are packaged. If it is just a bundle of what normally would be sold individually (James Bond comes to mind), then I just count the individual discs. If they aren't, then it is just the set.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks