Why Such High Crossovers?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by SamH, Feb 19, 2006.

1. SamH

SamH Auditioning

I read somewhere on this board that high crossovers are a way for a manufacturer to hide some deficiencies in a driver. Is this correct? The reason I ask is because I'm interested in the Totem speaker line. These speakers sound fantastic to me. However, some of their speakers have extremely high crossovers. The Totem Mite for example has a crossover of 3.2 KHz. Can someone explain this to me please?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Actually, it’s fairly normal for speakers to set crossover frequencies between 2 and 4 kHz. You don’t hear anyone saying anything bad about B&W speakers, and some of theirs have crossovers at 4 kHz. So do some of Paradigm’s. I’m sure I could have come up with many more if I had taken the time.

Would you prefer they lowered the crossover frequency so you could hear the deficiencies?

It’s not unusual for crossovers to be designed to maximize the performance of the drivers used. For instance, they often add passive elements that essentially perform equalizing functions.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Have you even listened to the speakers? I think you are WAY over-analyzing the situation. The speaker designer selects a crossover point that is appropriate for the drivers. I think you may have misunderstood; the crossover point, along the lines of what Wayne is also getting at, is selected so that the drivers are operating in their optimum range, blend properly, and hopefully yeild a flat response.

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

You can't go by crossover point alone. Some drivers/materials are better than others at higher crossover points, and there's also the issue of driver size. e.g. you might be a little leery of a 2-way with an 8" woofer crossed over really high, because at the higher frequencies the woofer will "beam" and that could hurt the sound. As always, trust your ears.