Why Sony has changed SACD to SA-CD...???

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rachael B, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Why, because the Sony board member's hats and underwear were too tight when they made up the original name, maybe? [​IMG] Too much Saki back in '98, possibly? They just want to make people batty over it? A sincere belief that hyphens are an under used symbol? Hyphens are an endangered species...[​IMG] Philips and Sony are bored and don't have anything better to do?

My extrapolated theory is that even after 5 years as a format:

1. Super Audio name recognition is stille exceedingly low.

2. The name SACD suggests something other than a CD, bad! CD sales good, people love...

3. They've determined the public will never let go of the CD format completely.

So, by hyphenating SACD into SA-CD, one's perception is that it's some sort of CD, that it's two-two, two discs in one! It's Super Audio and it's a Compact Disc too. The new name more closely associates Super Audio with the most successful music format ever, good!

Anybody have a better theory, actual, silly, or otherwise?

2. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I think you're correct.

Sony wants/needs to get some brand recognition, which has been terrible after 5 years with SACD. It's somewhat of a desperate attempt to tie in the format with CD and try to get it more mass appeal.

I still get blank stares when I mention SACD to people. The only ones who know (to an extent) what it is, are a few friends who I've explained it to. Everyone else I talk to has no idea.

3. charles white

charles white Second Unit

Isn't it obvious? Sony figured that Coca-Cola is hyphenated and that company still managed to survive "New Coke" debacle
    and still sell more soft drinks; let's apply the same logic to our newborn CD replacement! This plan could actually work...

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I've seen message board postings asking about the differences between SACD & SA-CD. Good job, Sony!

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Just wait until they announce the Frickin Ultimate Compact Disc format! [​IMG]

TV commercial:

"I just got FUCD!"

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

FUCD [​IMG]

Personally, I've got accrophobia from all these formats.

I still say they shoulda been MD's (music disks) and VD's (Video disks), with hyphens to tack on for all the further enigmatic variations

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Well the name "Sony" always gives me pause anyway, sounding like "SO NY" (and I hate New York). Beats me why they want to tweak the name Sack-Dee.

Why, so some wag could ask for a "doc" or "the clap"?

8. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Doc, I slipped a disk, can ya gimme a hand?

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I think they just want to make the point that they can be played (usually) on CD players as well.

Sony still issues press releases where it is spelled SACD however.

[​IMG]

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    That's blunderful Lee! Now folks will think these are two seperate formats, SACD & SA-CD. In fact, they already do. Somebody asked me what the difference was between the two this week. So-ny should have it's board of directors examined for competancy...

11. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

So is there a difference between SA-CD and SA+CD? [​IMG]

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] LOL, Jeff!

13. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Isn't SA+CD the one that comes in a disc caddy?

14. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis

Actually Rachael it's quite easy - just ask your headshrinker. It's just a classic Freudian case of "hyphen envy" on the part of Sack-Dee in relation to DVD-A.

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Boards of Directors don't get involved generally in minor marketing decisions. This is likely just a small change in their marketing dept. from the SACD team. I think its a positive if it does help with getting the "backward compatible" element across.

I think you are just making a mountain out of a mole hill. This subtle change will not really impact SACD that much plus or minus. The key is to create innovative marketing plans like the Rolling Stone promo. I also wish they would expand the cinema-based demos in Europe to the US.

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It's only backwards compatable if its hybrid. Some (lots?) aren't. Market confusion is bound to happen, pissing people off. Adding a hyphen only makes things more muddled, if you want to get the point across, try doing some aggressive advertising.

17. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

The majority are hybrids and the percentage of new releases that are hybrid is much higher still.

I never disputed that the marketing could be improved but separating the CD part does seem helpful in showing people that it is something new from CD or CD compatible.

Again, I think this is a "mountain out of a molehill". Sony just made some subtle changes...

18. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

Well, for me at least, I finally get an answer as to how you pronounce the damn format. I could never get any solid answers if it was like "sack-dee" or "essay-CD".

I suppose it's officially the latter.

19. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    I always post with "sack-dee" because it annoys a friend of mine who's an intellectual property attorney over at so-ny. [​IMG]

20. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    How about, el disco compacto del barbaro? That's proably real poor Espanol...?[​IMG]

Lee, name changes are confusing, period. What was that song, hmnn, "...don't change horses in the middle of the stream..." i.e. - what if you changed your name to Lee-Leanardo Scoggins. Eventually everybody will catch on and get used to it.[​IMG] [​IMG]