What's new

Why Someone Gets the Publicity and Someone Doesn’t? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just watched “When Big Things Go Bad” or something like that on the history channel. In 1989 a DC10 engine explodes over Iowa and all 3 hydronic systems are destroyed. They’ve got no control of the plane. The pilots end up using engine thrust to steer the plane and can only turn right. It takes 40 minutes to crash land and 189 die but many are saved. We barely remember the pilots for their skill and bravery.

Sully Sullenberger (jeez, I know his name) brings his plane down in the Hudson River and all live and he’s famous and even has Tom Hanks portray him in a movie. I don’t even have to describe the incident to you.

What’s the difference between these the incidents? One took place in Iowa and one in New York. Next time someone complains about flyover states being ignored, I’ll pay more attention.

I’m not complaining about the attention Sully got, just the disparity between these two incidents.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think I made that point in the second to last paragraph. I’m just commenting on the unfairness of it.
You pointed out Hudson River, but the unfairness has to do with major media outlets having their TV crews readily available.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You pointed out Hudson River, but the unfairness has to do with major media outlets having their TV crews readily available.
The Iowa crash also has impressive film. The plane broke in two with a big fireball. It’s not just TV crews on the spot, it’s the powers-that-be deciding what happens in New York is more important.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would think in general that the whole airline industry is happier whenever a mishap isn’t covered by news.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Iowa crash also has impressive film. The plane broke in two with a big fireball. It’s not just TV crews on the spot, it’s the powers-that-be deciding what happens in New York is more important.
Quite frankly, you’ve made up your mind regarding your opinion so I have nothing else to say on the matter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are 250,000 unsolved disappearances in the USA. Why did one 22 year old get all the attention when virtually all the others are ignored?

A few weeks before that Iowa crash, the same flight had hydraulic failure, and while it was able to continue to Chicago, the DC-10 had to dump its fuel and land dead-stick, no engines, no brakes, no steering. It was a full-on emergency landing with the runway lined with ambulances and firefighting equipment. Was it the same plane? Why wasn't that detail ever reported? Was it even investigated? The only reason I know about it, is because I was on the plane. The one that didn't crash, but the crash sure as hell got my attention.

There is an endless list of "Why this and not that?"

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
While they're not known by name, the crash landing at Sioux City was still pretty famous with the flight crew and the deadheading pilot that assisted often interviewed through the years and the event well known at the time. I believe there was even a movie about this (As well as the "Gimli Glider" incident and the Hawaii 737 that both were miraculously landed safely during the 1980's).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Just watched “When Big Things Go Bad” or something like that on the history channel. In 1989 a DC10 engine explodes over Iowa and all 3 hydronic systems are destroyed. They’ve got no control of the plane. The pilots end up using engine thrust to steer the plane and can only turn right. It takes 40 minutes to crash land and 189 die but many are saved. We barely remember the pilots for their skill and bravery.

Sully Sullenberger (jeez, I know his name) brings his plane down in the Hudson River and all live and he’s famous and even has Tom Hanks portray him in a movie. I don’t even have to describe the incident to you.

What’s the difference between these the incidents? One took place in Iowa and one in New York. Next time someone complains about flyover states being ignored, I’ll pay more attention.

I’m not complaining about the attention Sully got, just the disparity between these two incidents.
What time of year did this Iowa incident happen? I remember the Hudson River incident happened on an extremely cold day. Maybe the harsh weather was a bit of a factor in the coverage. Just spitballing.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What time of year did this Iowa incident happen? I remember the Hudson River incident happened on an extremely cold day. Maybe the harsh weather was a bit of a factor in the coverage. Just spitballing.
I don’t remember.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It was July. And the Hudson River event had nothing to do with the weather. The plane flew through a flock of birds.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
It was July. And the Hudson River event had nothing to do with the weather. The plane flew through a flock of birds.
Yes I know birds hit the engines. My point is the weather may have added to the drama of the situation (the guy who jumped into the river- he could have easily died of hypothermia).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Well, the Hudson River crash landing was a giant success, everybody survived. In the other crash landing 189 died and so while I am sure the pilots saved lives not as resounding a success. I would say in one case they very much wanted to publicize what happened, in the other not as much.

As people have said, due to one event taking place in the world's largest media market as well made it a much larger story combined with everyone surviving.

I don't think the idea is they thought less of Iowa or whomever the pilots were it probably just had more to do with they really liked that everybody lived and it was right in the middle of our biggest most famous city.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All it takes is to read the questions/comments I was answering, which were quoted in my response. It's pretty simple and all spelled out clearly. I have no idea how to make it any more obvious.

….grumpy moment…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks