What's new

Why so much excitement over LOTR? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
"Hey, why do you guys like Pepsi?"
"It's sweet."
"It tastes good!"
"It removes paint from my old tractor."
"It goes great with dinner."
"Ice Cream in Pepsi is awesome!"
"Hey, where did all these Pepsi freaks come from?"
:)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
But Mike, wouldn't it be lonely if it was just you and the other Mikes in the thread? ;)
You should make a "How many other people are named Mike?" and make it your stealth FOTR bash thread! :laugh:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Maybe next you can start a thread asking: Why the big deal over Star Wars and bemoan when the SW fans start responding...

David Oliver

Second Unit
BTW, at IMDB, where LOTR is still #1, the sub-group that has given it the highest rating is females under 18. Almost 500 votes with an average rating of 9.6 and 81% giving it a 10. Isn't this the same group that propelled Titanic to the top?

I am guessing that there are currently Tolkien conventions, but how soon before they bacome bigger and more involved with the movies. How soon before we see similar events that Trek fans attend?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I can see it now. New trend for 2002....girls who are into short people. The vertically challenged come into their own!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Jack, see it in a theater. Please. All those gorgeous New Zealand landscapes that Jackson swoops over are going to lose a whole lot in translation to video. It would be like seeing Lawrence of Arabia for the first time on a 27" television.

OK, now my big gun: It would be like seeing 2001 on a 16" television. Take THAT, Mr. Briggs!

As to the female interest, most of the college-educated women I've known have read LOTR and adore it. Maybe I travel in a geeky crowd of women, but it's not just teenage boys who read it. Heck, when I first read it, I was turned on to it by a woman!

John Chow

Second Unit
Heh,

I would've assumed that since all the geeky guys read it, they had more issues with the movie and would've picked it apart more. Since more women under 18 hadn't read the book, they would've been wowed by the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks