Why so many single/2 disc releases?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Bardon, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've noticed a recent trend where a movie will come out in two different versions on the same day-a single disc movie only version, and a multi-disc SE. Recent examples include Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Batman Begins, and Fantastic Four. While I'm glad that the studios are giving people the SE right away, I have to wonder why they're even bothering with the stripped down version in the first place. Looking at Batman Begins, the SE was the same price as the single on release day, and even the list was only a couple bucks higher. I'd think that if you're paying to press the extra disc and produce the features anyway, why not just release the movie in one SKU? Retailers will only have to carry one version of the movie, and anyone that doesn't want the second disc of extras just won't watch it. Wouldn't the costs balance out?

I can only really think of a couple of reasons that this would happen, and I think it's got something to do with Blockbuster. First, having a single disc release means that when BB buys 100 copies of Batman Begins for rental, they only have to keep track of 100 discs (instead of 200). Second, I know there's a lot of people like me who buy most of their new release DVDs used from Blockbuster, since you're essentially getting exactly the same product for as little as 1/3 of the price. If I wanted any of the Batman Begins extras though, I'd have to buy the disc brand new, since Blockbuster only carried the single disc release. Since the studios don't make anything on used DVD sales, perhaps this is a move to try to convince people to buy more new discs (instead of waiting to get it for 6 bucks two or three months after it's released).

Can anyone think of another reason to produce two different versions of a movie at the same time for close to the same price?

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I typically don't watch special features, so I'm glad to have the option of buying a less expensive, movie-only disc in cases such as this. Even if the deluxe version is only a few dollars more, they're wasted if I don't watch the special features. So I'd prefer to same that money.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The reason why they're releasing two versions is so they can make more money. There's people that only want the movie and they get the one disc at $15 (for example) and then the studios get more money from the more dedicated fan who want it all and pay the extra $5 to $10 for a two discer.

Fantastic Four only has a one disc release (so far). All the bonus discs were just store exclusives.

4. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Could the studio feel they need to sell to two different market segments: the collectors, like us, who want our 2 disc SE's and then regular Mom and Pop who really don't care about extras? I know that is a huge generalization, but it makes sense.

5. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Normally if they only released the 2-disc version of, say, Polar Express, it would be on sale for $15.99 the first week. If they release 1-disc and 2-disc versions the latter can sell for $20 because its a "premium" product.

6. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

I'm at the point where I usually buy all my movies used (way too many I want to afford them all new) with the exceptions of the ones that have 2 releases like War Of The Worlds, Batman Begins, etc

7. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

Like others have said above it's so the 2-disc version can be sold at higher than normal price. There really is no reason for 1-disc editions as the second disc is more of a bonus and who doesn't want that?

8. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    Bare-bones work for me. With rare exceptions, I don't care for extras and I would never buy a DVD just because of them. All I want is the movie. I would be happy if the disk would simply start playing the movie when you put it in the player without all the extra stuff and going to a menu. Hey if folks prefer the multi-disk sets that's up to them and it's ok with me, but as I said, all I want is the movie.

9. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

so what do you do with releases like "the great raid", where the single disc edition is full frame. obviously no purchase there. the only way to get the widescreen edition of this movie is to pay the extortionate (IMO) amount for the 2 discer.

granted, this is one disc (for the moment), but this is a dual release model i won't put up with. i just won't buy the dvd.

10. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

re: "There really is no reason for 1-disc editions as the second disc is more of a bonus and who doesn't want that?"

Well, me, for one.

I could happily provide coasters to a massive 100+ party with all the second discs of extras I've never watched.