What's new

Why so many different 'LOTR' editions being released? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I know it's a great film and all that, but damn, what is it, 4 different versions coming out in the span of only 7 months!? :confused:
This seems a tad ridiculous to me.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
To get more money, of course, and there's nothing wrong with that - in fact, the more choice for the consumer the merrier.

At least we were informed about all the different releases straight off the bat, so can make our own informed, independent choices.

Myself, I'm only going for the bog-standard 4-disc extended version.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
More money sure, but all of us here have the benefit of a forum like this to inform us about all the different editions so we can make our choices up front, Joe and Jane who don't frequent these types of boards do not. All these versions are just going to confuse a lot of consumers.

Kami

Screenwriter
The film deserves it (well, all but the MAR release) :cool:
2-disc and 5-disc here.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
1. Regular theatrical cut, xcoming in August 6th. It's available in anamorphic widescreen (YEAH BABY!) and P&S.

2. Extended cut, coming sometime in November (the 12th, I think.) It'll be available in two forms: A box containing the movie and the extras, and a deluxe set containing the movie, the extras, the National Geographic LOTR disc, two kickass Argonath bookends, and other assorted goodies. I doubt this will be available in P&S.

ok, dammit, so there ARE four versions after all :b

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Hmm....well, I'll be buying the first release to have the theatrical version, and the 5 disc one, assuming the packaging for the 4 movie/extras discs is the same as the 4 disc version.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I love the fact the 2 disc release in August has a preview for the November extended cut version. That's a great way to alert people... I think hardcore fans (which lets face it, the 4 disc is made for) know the expanded cut is coming.

There are fans like myself who want both the theatrical cut and expanded cut, and it's especially good that the extras on the 2 disc release will not be on the four disc version later in the year. Even better incentive to own both.

They're doing this the best possible way. I'd expect print advertisments in late July and early August will promote both the theatrical cut and expanded cut versions too.

Not everyone would want to pay for the super duper expensive set right of the bat. New Line and Wignut are offering up the best possible choices and are marketing in the right way.

Dan

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
There are fans like myself who want both the theatrical cut and expanded cut, and it's especially good that the extras on the 2 disc release will not be on the four disc version later in the year. Even better incentive to own both.
Fantastic! I did not know this Dan, I haven't been keeping up with the details, I just know what I want to buy ;P. Here's hoping after all three films come out, PJ goes back and re-edits them together, to make a 9+ hour 6-10 disc Apocalypse edition.

Kami

Screenwriter
I agree, New Line might set a new trend for DVD releases of blockbuster films. Big fans want the mammoth sets such as the 5-disc one we're getting in November.
I just get all giddy knowing my LOTR collection could be 20+ discs by the time 2004 rolls around, and don't even get me started on the potential for a massive 10-15 disc box set for the entire trilogy. They filmed an ungodly amount of behind the scenes stuff, and PJ likes to use it so I can see several HUGE documentaries coming out on these DVDs too. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I agree - at least they're letting know up front what is coming down the pipe.
The 4 & 5 disc editions are targetted for those who are really into LOTR.
2 & 5 disc editions are my choices.:D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I love the fact the 2 disc release in August has a preview for the November extended cut version.
On the physical packaging, or in the special features of the disc? If as a special feature, I find that to be really bad form... It's almost like telling the customer, "This is what you SHOULD have bought"

If like a sticker on the box, that's a really good idea for informing people so they can make an informed decision.

4 disc only for me.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I've never read the books, but watching the first movie I'm now caught up in the fantasy, so they've got me hooked. Once I've seen all the movies, I'll read the books. But so far I'm a big LOTR fan. I guess this is what it feels like to "jump on the bandwagon".

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I wish all the studios announced DVD's like that up front. As a consumer you can pick what you want. It beats coming out with the single bare bones disk, then the 2 disk SE months later, then the 3 disk ultra edition, then the 4 disk super duper edition like so many others have done.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Did I miss something here-the November release isn't going to have the extras from the August one? Is there a listing of the features on both, or are those not announced yet...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
We're getting a lot of e-mails from readers asking if the special features set to be included on the theatrical edition of The Fellowship of the Ring (due on 8/6) will be repeated on the special extended version (following on 11/12). The answer is no. The documentaries and web featurettes are being included on the theatrical edition because a lot of fans have requested them. But since the special extended version includes an entirely new cut of the film, everything that will be included on that later edition is being custom created specifically for that release, for a more adult audience and to go MUCH deeper into the making of the film trilogy than what was seen in any of the TV specials. The idea is that most DVD consumers will be satisfied with the theatrical edition, while more sophisticated fans will wait for the extended edition. The most diehard fans will probably want both, as they perfectly complement each other but do not overlap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks