Why so many audio standards?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DanielKellmii, Feb 15, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Why isn't there one audio standard like there is one HDTV standard? It would make shopping so much easier.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ They gotta keep comin out with new stuff so you have to buy the same albums over and over. Much more reasons than that, but that's a start.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Well, it really just comes down to people having different preferences. Many stick by Dolby Digital, others prefer DTS saying it's compression algorithm is better and results in less loss of sound quality. Now, as for SACD vs. DVD-A, that is all about money and is similar to the BETA vs. VHS rivalry a few decades ago.

As for HDTV, there really isn't one standard for that yet either. 1080i vs 720p. DVI vs firewire vs whatever else.

The one I'm concerned about is the new DVD format. Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD. I'm really in favor of Blu-Ray, but HD received the DVD Forums approval first. The reason this one concerns me is that the audio standards don't seem to have been hurt much by the competing standards, but I doubt many hollywood studios will put out any blue-laser DVD's until one standard is settled upon.

Sorry for the rambling post . . .

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Who said there is one HDTV standard? lol.

Different audio formats cater to different needs. Most products integrate all at this point, which is more than can be said for HDTV!

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Um, yeah don't even get started with video standards. There are zillions, and moving between video and film, and computer realms is insanely confusing. I find audio much simpler than dealing with video stuff, actually. Fewer formats, and they are more straightforward and easily explained. Video is another story...

6. John S

John S Producer

I would definetly say that there are way more Video HD standards than Audio, and when you factor in all Video -vs- all audio, there are exponentially more video standards than audio.

7. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Be happy you don't have to shop for USB speakers for your HT. [​IMG]