Why so long for Futurama, Fox?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Elak Swindell, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Elak Swindell

Season 2 of the great Futurama series doesn't arrive until August, though it has been available in Europe for months now. Season 3 has just recently been released overseas as well. Okay, Fox, why are Region 2 fans getting the box sets first instead of Region 1? That is a very messed up marketing plan. The series is made and shown over here first, then travels to Europe, but they get the DVDs before we do. Who decided this fan torture, eh? Why aren't the box sets of Futurama released in both regions at once? If the second season of the series is just coming out next month, I hate to think when the next box set will arrive. January? Come on, Fox, give the fans quicker releases of our favorite show.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Syndication. Especially with underperforming and football murdered shows like Futurama and Family Guy, it's all that more important to grab those syndication bucks. Fox staggers their releases, but we started behind so we'll remain behind

3. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

Meanwhile, to tide you over, Fox is actually showing NEW shows on Sundays this summer. They've shown four so far with two more coming up this and next week. [​IMG]

4. Elak Swindell

Thanks for the responses, but neither of them answered the questions posed. Syndication has nothing to do with DVD releases. We shouldn't have "started behind" in the first place with the release of the "Futurama: Season 1" box set. Since the series plays here in the US, then goes worldwide, the DVDs should also start here as well. "Family Guy" needed to be murdered anyway. That is one ugly animated show. Whoever decided to give a baby a football-shaped head needs to see a shrink. "Futurama" has class, style, beautiful animation and excellent humor. It should continue past five seasons, but nothing lasts forever in the realm of TV shows. Actually, "Futurama" is funnier and more interesting than "The Simpsons".

5. Aaron Thomas

Aaron Thomas Stunt Coordinator

For TV series, syndication has everything to to with DVD releases.

American syndicates - and cable networks like Comedy Central that broadcast reruns like Futurama - believe that releasing episodes on home video cheapens the value of rerun rights. Many recent shows have been held back to for just this reason, from "Buffy" (minimum 2 runs of each season on FX before DVD release by my count) to "Seinfeld" (just sold another multiyear syndication deal with no rumors of release dates in sight).

However, outside of the U.S. there doesn't seem to be the same syndication demands for rerun-only rights. Therefore, studios can take advantage of the region system and release most series on DVD for the first time outside Region 1.

Finally, while four to five months seems like a long time when one only thinks of Futurama, Fox is releasing multiple TV series on DVD. So far, TVShowsOnDVD.com is showing nine box sets announced between now and the end of the year. The only series that Fox is releasing faster looks to be M*A*S*H, the only classic TV currently released by Fox.

Aaron Thomas
    nothing new to see here, I suppose ...

6. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I believe this is why they Columbia-Tri-Star ceased production of "The Larry Sanders Show" following the season 1 release about 2 years ago. They managed to pick up a major syndication deal for the show, and THAT'S where their money is rolling in.

Mind you, I think it's somewhat rediculous how slow they're releasing "The Simpsons" on DVD. I mean, the first set was released in September 2001. Season 2 came out August of last year. Now the third set will be released THIS August. With 14 seasons in the vault, and god knows how many more to come, it'll be forever and a day until people acquiring the rest of the series.

I can understand why shows such as "24" are being rushed to DVD almost immediately after each season ends. A show such as this would fare horribly in syndication, considering the show is based in real-time.

As for the majority of series however, syndication is a big part in whether or not TV shows will see the light of day on DVD. They have to figure out where the BIG money will lie. If they figure a show will make more dollars by being aired on television on a daily basis, as opposed to perhaps lacklustre DVD sales, then that's a choice companies need to make in order to decide if they will profit or not.

Look at a wildly successful show, such as "Friends". Warner Brothers have released four complete seasons thus far, and they're selling through the roof. They had a good run with syndication for I guess the past five years, but the execs at Warner knew where the big money is.

"Futurama" wasn't a 10th as successful as "Friends". In fact, that show catered to a certain fanbase. The people at Fox obviously figured that with only a certain population interested in the show the money would roll in via syndication. Albeit, they are releasing the show now on DVD. But I'm willing to bet the sales aren't remotely as high as "Friends". Therefore, they're continuing to roll with the punches by taking their time with the release of these sets.

By the way, "Family Guy" is a great show! lol. To each their own I guess.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

8. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    Well for the record, I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone. Not Fox, not Gracie, not even Matt Groening, lol. I speak solely on a consumer standpoint that people who are trying to collect the series in its entirety have to wait forever and a day to do so. I admit, the reason behind it was unbeknownst to me until now. But the fact remains, they ARE taking forever and a day to release them. I frankly couldn't care less whose fault it is.

Mind you, I heard a different story altogether from sources stating that the reason it was taking so long for these sets to come out was because of the audio commentary. Wtih Groening & company's busy schedule (with current seasons), I heard it was difficult for them to allot time to sit down and provide anecdotes for each season's episodes. Now, if THAT'S the case, my suggestion is they cut out commentary altogether. I find they seem to drone on about next to nothing anyhow.

Whatever the case may be, they (Fox & Gracie Films) should find some sort of resolution to this poroblem. Frankly, all of this should've been dealt with before they agreed to make season sets in the first place.

9. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

Futurama is rocketing out compared to The Simpsons, so, I am happy.