What's new

Why so few monitors? I Don't need more tuners or speakers (1 Viewer)

Mark Jany

Auditioning
Why is it so few TV's (except front projectors) are available as monitors only - just a screen, lots of inputs and no speakers or tuners? It seems to me that many/most buying higher end RPTV's would have a home theater setup and wouldn't use the built in speakers, amp etc. Many, like me, use satellite for the tuner or digital cable and thus render the internal tuner (or, since most have dual tuner PIP, TUNERS) useless. I don't know if anyone is aware of the added cost of those items but I would imagine it wouldn't be negligible. I'm sure there are some professional/institutional sets available but I don't see this as a choice for mainstream RPTV's or larger tube units. I think HDTV-ready sets especially fit this category, since anyone who gets HDTV would of course be using an external tuner/decoder.

I guess I just don't like paying for stuff I can't use. I do have dual tuner PIP on my humble JVC 32'' TV and haven't used the tuners or speakers since I went satellite and HT.

Anyone feel the same way?

Mark

VicRuiz

Second Unit
I agree with the speakers part, but I still use PIP on non-HD content. I still want the option of using it if I want to.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It is called economies of scale. There are more people that buy these things that want it all than the small minority that does not.

To disrupt the assembly line process to make the few sets you are talking about will actually add to the price of the set.

Regards

Mark Jany

Auditioning
Maybe so, but I don't think it's that small a minority. If economy of scale was that important why so many models/lines from every manufacturer? That usually implies that it isn't that difficult to modify the manufacturing process to produce different lines.

Mark

Robert A

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

I agree. I don't want or need all of those other features. But, sadly, their aren't more monitors for the same reason there are so many recievers and not so many pre/pro's, not enough demand. I would love to see many more monitors. I hate that the big screens have those speakers in them that I would never use anyway. I wish there were more pre/pro's on the market for a guy like me who can't spend $2000+ on one. I would love just a big screen HDTV with no tuner or speaker. Some day every one will wise up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks