Why so few inputs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Krangel, May 15, 2002.

1. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

Lateley i've been pondering something -

Why is it that there are SO many high quality, $1000+ recievers and pre/pros that have at most 6 S-Video inputs? Some have even less, like the Sony DA5ES (4), the JVC 10 (their flagship) (4). The only recievers I know of with more are the three highest end Denons 4802/5800/5803 which are all priced at $2500 and above! To my knowlegde, all other flagship recievers max out at 6, maybe 7. Why the lack of inputs? I can understand the lack of componenet inputs (expense), but not s-video.

2. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

I route everything through my receiver [a throwback to my VisionTouch/90ESG days]. But if I were to venture a guess, I'd say a lot of people route video through the monitor. A receiver is a mechanism for, receiving, processing and delivering audio. Unless you have some form of onscreen menus, a receiver is only a conduit for video. Why risk degrading the video signal by sending it through a superfluous conduit, especially if the TV/Monitor does the switching tasks as well or better.

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

My 3802 and HDTV are totally full. [​IMG]
    digital audio included. [​IMG]

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Sounds like it's time to upgrade! [​IMG]

5. Jon Krangel

Lol, Camp, unfortunateley it is. And I can understand the quality issue, but again - we are paying in excess of $1000 here. I'm sure they could do it right if they put their mind to it [​IMG]. And also, my situation makes using the TV as a switcher a bit difficult, as my componenets are in a closet far from the tv. Any ideas?

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

My old Onkyo 919 had a zillion S-video inputs. One was split to the LD and DVD by the companion outboard DD decoder which did S-Video switching also. In addition there was another input on the back, three tape loops with S-Video, and an S-Video on the front making the grand total 7. Whoah. My current pre/pro fits my system very well, I'm using all but two inputs, the Phono (which I would like to use) and the second VCR loop.

7. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

What do you need SO many s-video inputs for!?

I'll try to list some I can think of:

cable

s-video vcr

game system

er, laserdisc?

er, er... could be a DVD player, but component's better

So that's 5 which is a stretch.

I have a 'flagship' receiver, but I only use 2 video inputs (s-video s-vhs vcr, and component for dvd player). My HD Tuner goes direct to a separate component input on the TV and for cable I just use the TV's built-in tuner.

8. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

Most people don't have that many video sources, and they want to save money. As a result they make the receivers for "most people" and figure they will get "most" of the sales and save a little on all the units.

9. Jon Krangel

Here are all of the sources that I have connected to my receiver (Onkyo 797). Everything is connected via s-video (and component where applicable i.e. DVD) for multi zone viewing or recording:

- DirecTiVo

- S-VHS VCR

- DVD Player

- HDTV STB (not here yet, but a definite future purchase)

- HTPC (no HDTV yet, so s-video)

- Wall outlets (Cables run from one input to a wall plate of jacks with a full array of video/audio connections)

That's 6 right there, and being a long time technology person, I know that you should always have extra (just in case). And with many receivers putting an input on the front, (which is a waste for me, and everyone else with their equipment in a closet/far away rack) there goes another critical input.

Other devices people may have:

- Laser Disc

- Extra VCR (i don't know why, but some people like 2 or more)

- Some are both Dish and DirecTV subscribers (need 2 STB's)

- Digital Cable Box (again, some subscribe to multiple content providers)

I'm sure i'm missing a few devices, but I think there is value in many inputs.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

THe front S-Video is for camcorders and/or game machines.

11. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Well...

xbox, ps2, gamecube, dreamcast

VHS

DVD

CD

CD

Cable

DBS

So that's eight video sources, 10 audio sources.

12. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

John R - CD's don't have video.

Jon K wrote:

13. joe logston

joe logston Stunt Coordinator

my yamaha rx-v1 receiver haves 5 out puts , and 7 inputs, plus 1 input in the front; total 8 inputs and 5 outputs; on s-vedeo; component vedeo, 3 inputs 1 out put, 4 digital rca inputs, toslink 7 inputs 1 output.