What's new

Why should I sell my Bose AM 10 system (1 Viewer)

Chad F.

Agent
I have been chatting with another member about uor similar HK recievers and in the process found out that my Bose are not as good as I thought. For me the sound great but I can only compare to the other systems I have had. Previously only a Phillips HT in a Box. It was $300 for the reciever and the speakers and sub. A great starter system, but then I moved up to a Hk AVR 230, and the Bose AM 10 system. He refered me to several speakers systems of similar size, for half the price in most cases. I don't want to believe that I could achieve better sound than my Bose for half the price. So tell me guys, could I really do that, should I sell them and buy some Athenas, Take 5s, and others, or should I keep them until it is time for my next upgrade. Any comments are appreiciated.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
You should thank the other member for enlightening you.....You're on your way to discovering some pretty great stuff. There is a whole world of good, quality audio out there....and most of us don't really consider Bose products a part of that. Post a budget, room size, listening preferences, etc., and I'm sure you'll get a whole lot of good ideas from the members here.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you do a search for Bose on this forum you will find many threads about their lack of quality. Most of these threads also contain suggestions for better speakers that are less expensive.

Chad F.

Agent
Thanks guys. I will probably be getting the Def Tech pro cinema 80 system. I would like to hear them first but just reading their reviews is really impressive. I do need to wait a few more years because I just bought the AM 10 about 2 years ago and my wife dosn't understand the need to upgrade already. Also I will be purchasing a new widescreen TV, I have a 43" 4:3 right now, so it will make a good argument in favor of new speakers to match the new TV. I would like to go bigger but also like the ability to have them munted on the wall and be small and slightly unoticable. I have a 3 year old girl and a 2 month old boy so a floor standing tower will have to wait. Thanks for the help, I only wish I was a member hear 2 years ago when I was looking for new speakers.

Chad F.

Agent
Having read reviews of both the SVS SBS 01 system( I'll go with 7.1) and the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 80 system, I am ready to find a dumb buddy that will buy my AM-10 system for $500 bucks and go buy one of these systems. I can't wait to utilize the internal crossovers in my HK 230. Also the reviews described things about both speaker systems that I have never experienced with my Bose, I feel ripped.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Chad: I have yet to hear the speakers from SVS, but I've owned their subwoofers the past four years. If those speakers are half as good as their subs (and early accounts indicate they are pretty damn good), then that is one killer package deal. You just cannot imagine the impact that an SVS sub has on your music and movie listening experience until you try one for yourself. It's not just hype....believe me.

It has been a long while since I've heard a Definitive Tech product, but I know there are a lot of people who own their products on this forum and are very happy with them.

I hope you let us know which direction you go in :)

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Chad,
You're selling yourself short dumping the Bose for $500. You can probably get darn near all your money back for those Bose. Lots of people out there that believe Bose is top of the line and are willing to pay high for it.

Then take that money and buy a speaker system really worth the $$.

Chad F.

Agent
I hear you Greg, but I don't do much business online and would want to sell them to someone locally probably. I may try higher price but more realistically I'll hang on to them for a couple more years. I really want to hear the SVS before I bye. The Def Tech are at a local high end private A/V store, although I hav'nt checked to see if they have them, thanks guys again.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You should put them up on ebay, you'd probably get enough to get the SVS 5.0 package, plus a subwoofer.

Unless you know someone who is buying the SVS system you probably won't get to hear it before you buy -- that's the unfortunate part of internet-direct. However, they do have a great money-back policy.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
If you're looking for some Definitive Tech speakers but are looking to stay small, some Mythos Gem and a SuperCube II subwoofer might be a good combo for you. I think you'd be blown away, frankly. The mains have 3.5" midbasses and an aluminum dome tweeter, and the sub is an 8" woofer and dual 8" passive radiators. They've even come out with the SuperCube III, which uses a 7.5" woofer and 7.5" passive radiators, is even smaller, and packs 650W. Of the three ideals of high efficiency, deep extension, and small box size, you can only have two. The design of the SuperCube III is very small, so it takes more amplifier power to deliver such deep bass from the smaller enclosure than the larger enclosures. This brute-force approach is what lets the SuperCube subwoofers be so small.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I'll play the partially monkey wrench in the works here. But if you thought they sound great, why are replacing them. Now I'm a Bose Basher like the next enthusiast, but there's one thing I firmly believe is if you really enjoy the sound you are getting from your current system, then don't change because some one else thinks you should. If you came to the decision to change based on other systems you've heard, then by all means; here comes my Bose Bashing; get rid of it. I have to admit I was a Bose fan once when I couldn't afford it and then my eyes opened when I made the comparision between Bose and receivers with bookshelf and floorstanding speakers and turned away from Bose for good. I even made my very first sub based on the Bandpass structure used by Bose and I learned then that the thing required a great deal of power to push sound through.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I agree here with above poster. I would go a step or two further and say you may consider supplementing your existing system with a much better sub, either new or used, perhaps adding in something such as a SVS 20-39PC. Afterwards you can upgrade your system.

Bose does not sell bad products but their AM systems are seriously lacking and that is where the vast majority of the criticism lies.

Chad F.

Agent
I wish I could listen to the SVS SBS system, or even a sub from them. I will try to hear a DEF TEch pro cinema 80 system at my local dealer. Then I will make a decision. My Bose don't have the balls to fill my room with enough sound to utilize my Ez set set up on my HK230, the mic in the remote still sets the individual DB very high in the +8 to +10 range. I am satisfied with the sound I get from movies and music but the things the reviewers describe about the other systems are things I have never experienced with my Bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks