1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Why should I buy an analog flat screen tv?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Aug 30, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I'm looking to buy a 32" tv with the squeeze trick to use for about two years until I buy an HDTV. I don't know a whole lot about tvs and my question is would it be worth it for me to cough up an extra couple hundred bucks to buy a 32" flat screen tv and why? What are the benefits? I watch mostly DVDs and some regular tv.
    Thanks!
    James

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Have you rejected the idea of buying an HD capable set right now?
    Advantages
    ·Digital sets generally have a better picture than analog sets.
    ·You can choose between 4:3 and 16:9 sets.
    ·Almost all HD-ready sets have 3:2 pulldown.
    ·All 4:3 sets, with which I am familiar, will display DVDs in 480p and do the ‘squeeze’. Of course, it’s probably fair to consider that most, or all analog ‘flat’ screen sets will have one or both of these features.
    ·You won’t have an obsolete set when you decide to make the HDTV plunge. All you will need to do is add an HD tuner. For example, if the Super Bowl gets close and you just can’t stand it, the upgrade is not hard.
    Disadvantages
    ·Cost
    If analog best meets your needs, ‘flat’ screens reflect much less light, especially from the side, than do curved screens. This is particularly helpful if your TV is close to windows, doors, or is open to other rooms with lighting that causes reflections. I also think that the off-axis picture quality is somewhat better.
    Generally ‘flat’ screens on analog sets are top-of-the-line models, so the overall quality of the set will likely be better and it will tend to have more features.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Flat tube designs are notorious for having bad geometry and convergence issues that simply cannot be fixed. They are within manufacturer tolerances though so not much will be done.

You may have to go through 5 to 10 units before you find one with good geometry and convergence and no dealer in their right mind will let you do this.

Regards

4. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

5. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Actually, those are not the geometry problems that I am talking about. There is a whole new set of geometry issues specific only to the flat tube designs.

Regards

6. Lew Crippen

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If I was you I would buy the 32 inch Flat Tube Samsung HDTV it can be had for around $1,000 which makes it cost only a few hundred dollars more than other companies flat tube analog sets. Or buy the Samsung made Curtis Mathes 32 inch analog set on sale this week at K-Mart for $399 It's not a flat tube & it doesn't have component video inputs but it does have an S-Video input & it can do the squeeze trick from the menu or remote. I think this set would tide you over until you were ready to get an HDTV set in a couple of years if you din't want to spend that much money for the Samsung HDTV set right now. No I don't work for Samsung [​IMG] but for features & price they are hard sets to beat.

8. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Absolutely ... you could do it that way. But that is a lot of time off work to do that ... unless you are chronically unemployed.

These sets are usually built to a certain spec and you will definitely just get your money back rather than try this.

Regards

9. Lew Crippen

10. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it! I think I may go for that analog 32" Samsung, it's in my price range and there doesn't seem to be any really reasons to buy a flatscreen. Plus if I spent too much money on a tv now I won't have an excuse for my fiance to buy a more expensive HD RPTV latter! [​IMG]
    James