What's new

Why Seven? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Some numbers that seem key to our lives do make sense when you think about it.

2: Duality seems sems to be inherent to nature from sex to... good and evil?

5 and 10: Fingers... self explanatory.

7: Now, why Seven? Why does this number seem so important?

I suspect it's for the simple reason that it's halfway between 5 and 10...

--
Holadem

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Seven is of significance for many reasons. The most obvious is that it is featured prominantly in the opening verses of the Bible.
Of more ancient origin is that the major lights in the sky other than the stars number 7. The Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn greatly influenced us, as the astronomers were (and still are) the primary time keepers of humanity. These planets have been the names of periods of time since the concept was born.
Then there is also the fact that a very natural clock of the moon's orbit is ~28 days, which is also evenly divided by 7 into 4 weeks. Of course this is easily confused because while the moon orbits the earth every 27.3 days, new moons actually happen every 29.5. ;)
Not every culture had a 7 day week. Romans didn't until Constantine adopted the "Christian" viewpoint. Christians got theirs from Jewish culture of course, which was influenced by Egyptian and Assyrian who also had their time periods divided into 7 units. Beyond that we have no idea where the concept came from.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
7 days of the week :)
How about... 9, huh? whats that have anything to do with life? :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The reason for 5 fingers per hand and 5 toes per foot...

"First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

So...it was 1, 2, 5!

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Seven?

Seven chipmunks twirlin on a branch

Eatin lotsa sunflowers on my uncle's ranch

You know..

like that old nursery rhyme..

from the sea?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Danny, very interesting post. The biblical reference was the most obvious answer, but for those of us who do not believe things were that simple, the question still remains, as someone must have decided 7 was the ideal number.

Of more ancient origin is that the major lights in the sky other than the stars number 7. The Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn greatly influenced us,
Trouble is, though that these were vastly different "lights"... the Sun for example was in a class by itself, so I have some trouble understading why they would be lumped together.

--
Holadem

Blu

Screenwriter
Biblicaly I believe that 7 represents perfection while 6 is incompletetion. (hence the number of the beast) While 7 represents God.
I could be mistaken but I believe this is correct.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Blu is correct... 7 is used consistently throughout the Bible to represent completion. From Genesis, where God rested on the seventh day, to the book of Revelation, where the number seven is used consistently throughout the book.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Trouble is, though that these were vastly different "lights"... the Sun for example was in a class by itself, so I have some trouble understading why they would be lumped together.
Even so, this is the case. "It is interesting to note that these exact same solar system objects, and in the same sequence, were also used to name days in ancient India, Tibet and Burma." http://www.greenheart.com/billh/origin.html
And of course the sun is given greater influence, usually always being the first day. Sun-gods also of course are always highly placed on the religeous pantheons of various cultures.
Not every culture adopted this system on their own though. Japan and China used an interesting Sexagesimal cycle (60 day period) to number their days, and the seven day week didn't come into their culture until introduced by others. Romans also had a different calendar system where the number 7 played no significance until they adopted the Christian one.
The biblical reference was the most obvious answer, but for those of us who do not believe things were that simple, the question still remains
Its still pretty safe to say that the Judaic influence is what eventually won out. How exactly they chose seven as a "holy" number is a mystery (as I mentioned above, older cultures did use the number seven themselves that go back before the formation of the orignal Jewish canon). Obviously one can believe that they were influenced by these other cultures, came up with it on their own from the same source (anyone can see the sky), or were divinely inspired.
While obviously not every culture believed in the seven days for creation found in the Bible, the middle-eastern area's calendars were superior to most others in accuracy, and thus the 7 day week won out because it was included, eventually being adopted by other cultures across the globe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks