Why save all your CD's onto your hard drive?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Van Patton, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

Another thread popped my curiousity here. Why would you want to put all your CD's onto your hard drive? This seems like a lot of wasted space.

2. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

they are all available at once.

you can put the actual cds away somewhere.

you can randomize playback, playback by genre, by artist, however you want.

3. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Number one reason: Versatility.
    The ability to listen to whatever, whenever is great. Also allows you to burn discs for the road quickly. I'm needing another drive soon. [​IMG]

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Besides, hard drive space is cheap. Worth it for the convenience factor.

5. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

My main hi-fi/cinema is in the lounge, my PC is in my study. I can have access to my entire collection of music and audio books to listen to whilst working/surfing etc. I've also got a 6-CD changer in the car so it's very easy to burn compilation CDs. Without using the PC I'd need a separate CD burner in the lounge, and would spend ages making compilations from CDs.

6. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Flexability and convenience here as well. I've got an older box that is basically a file/mp3 server that is hooked to a cheap stereo downstairs. I have a bunch of different playlists 80's/hippy/lounge/trance/whatever is appropriate. It also makes burning compilations quick and easy. Both the S.O. and myself have mp3 cd players in our cars. When the urge to make a new mix hits, just pop in a blank then drag and drop baby!

7. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Because after you can sell the CD or return it to the store where you bought it - and still have a copy for yourself on your HD.
    Oh wait, that's illegal. [​IMG]

8. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

yeah but saving all your CD's as mp3 is going down the road to sonic displeasure. Sure you can save a lot of files to disk, but it's still only mp3.

Now if you're talking saving the files uncompressed, I can aggree that it's worth the effort, and you can file away the CD's. But the conviencience of listing to an inferior mp3 is not worth it to me.

I just bought a 100 gig HD new for $119, so it is just starting to get cheap enough to store uncompressed CD's --maybe.

9. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

you are correct Art. However there have been plenty of comparisons of CDs, and 256kbps ABR MP3's that have shown no noticeable difference between the two. Not to mention that when using a program like EAC to rip the CDs you are error-checking, accurately ripping, etc. Perhaps any old drive is able to read CDs accurately, I don't know. My next point (and yours) really makes this argument moot.

I've read a couple of different responses about the cheaper HDs coming out, and you're right. This is an interesting development for MP3. Hard drives are getting so cheap that sooner or later copying a CD onto the hard drive will be no big deal at all. I've got 240GB in my HTPC so it is feasible that I could just copy all of my CDs rather than encode and compress them in MP3. At this time though, I can't tell the difference between a good r3mix.net induced ABR MP3 and a regular CD. So I'm inclined to use MP3 format for now. The process is the same for me, with the additional batch file to launch bfore I go to sleep, which encodes all of the wav files I ripped for the day.

10. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Hugh/Art,
    You could always "split the difference" and go with a lossless compression format, such as shorten. It's what we use in the etree.org trading community, and while nowhere near as small as .mp3 compression, it retains the original sonic quality, is a bit smaller in size, and has a plug-in for WinAmp that allows you to play .shn files in their compressed state.
    Just a thought... it's the format I've used to acquire all of my live music.
    -Brett.

11. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

Art,

do you mind sharing where you found a 100GB drive for $119? I just bought 80GB for $125 and thought I had a great deal!

12. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

I went to a Sams club in NJ. The drive (WD 1000BB @ 7200rpm), was stickered at $269 with a $100 mail in rebate. When I got to the register it rang up at $219. When I got to the service desk to actully pick up the drive I saw another sticker on one with a $219 price with only a $50 rebate. So, it seems that Sams got either the rebate or the price wrong at some point, but thankfully in my favor. I think these drives sell for a little less than $200 checking via price watch.

Off course I haven't gotten the reabate in the mail yet...

Funny thing though as I didn't see any site of the drives a week later at Sams.

13. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

14. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Art. I remember reading about those, but I don't have a Sam's nearby, so I didn't get a chance to try. My 80GB showed up today, tomorrow I have some installing and ripping to do.