What's new

Why run video signal thru Receiver?? (1 Viewer)

Rob_VVVV

Auditioning
I have a new Pioneer Elite VSX35TX - it has about a million inputs/outputs on the back of the thing.

Im curious on what the advantage is of running the video signal thru the receiver rather than directly from the source to the display?

When I run the S-video from my Sat directly to my plasma - the picture is great. When I go thru the receiver I notice a small loss of PQ - not that much - but I can notice it.

I dont really notice it when running the component cables from the DVD thru Receiver.

I dont really see any advantage of going thru the receiver.

Can someone clue me in here?

Thanks

-Rob

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
It allows you to switch between video sources as easily as switching between audio sources. You leave your monitor set for one particular video input, then switch between satellite (or cable), DVD and whatever other video sources you have at the receiver.

J

John Morris

Hi Rob and Ken: IMO, if you depend on OSD to make any changes to your listening conditions, then you need to make sure that all your video passes through your audio processor.

I found that my HD and progressive video sources look differently on my HDTV and therefore, need to be connected to different inputs on my HDTV in order to EACH be properly calibrated to perfect. If I passed all my HDTV and progressive signals through the same input, I'd have to pick which source to calibrate to and the rest would be somewhat off.

Hope this made sense to those who aren't already in this situation...

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
If you have multiple independent inputs on your plasma, I would run everything direct=best picture. The more connections and circuitry you pass a signal through the more degradation you have.:D
Question on the DBS signal! Do you notice a lack of smooth transition in images at times( almost too good a picture). Images appear refreshed at too slow a rate and a little sharp on the image edge and a lack of detail on really large images(WX channels talking heads)???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????

Rob_VVVV

Auditioning
Im actually getting like slight "snow waves" in the picture.

Almost like when I was a kid trying to adjust the uhf dial

its very slight but it annoys the hell out of me so Im going back to direct.

Ken,

What you said about allowing you to set the monitor to 1 vid mode isnt really the case.

I have the DVD using component cables (RGB) and the DBS using S-Video (each a seperate mode on the monitor)

so I have to change the mode on the receiver as well as the monitor. Unless Im missing something.

Thanks for the feedback.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Most of us already know the reasons we would NOT run video through the receiver...

let's explore 2 reasons why anyone would want to do it:

1.)Your old and can't figure out how to change inputs on your tv

2.)pick-up on screen display from rcvr

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
If you use a universal remote that has macro capability, there really is no reason not to run your video directly to your tv. Before I picked up the Sony VL900 remote, it was somewhat annoying to have to change audio on the receiver and then switch video on the TV. Now I press one button and everything turns on and sets itself up for DVD, or TV, or CD, etc.
As a bonus, you save money on cables. :)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My tv only has one S-Video input. So I connect the receiver to it, and then my DVD player, GameCube and Playstation all to the receiver via S-video. I could also use a switch box, but my receiver will do it for me.

Rob_VVVV

Auditioning
Mark,

But thats assuming that the all the video feeds are coming in thru 1 video source on the TV right? (ie s-vid)

In a situation where you have 2 inputs

Ie - DVD using component cables and DBS using S-Video

you still have to switch the TV mode to the use the correct input - (component or s-vid) regardless of if you go thru the receiver or not.

Or am I missing something?

Re the remote - I have the same macro capibility - so doing the switch on the TV and setting the receiver to the correct source is no biggie - just 1 button push and the dvd turns on - the receiver goes to dvd and the tv switches to the component input.

another button will switch the receiver to DBS and set the TV to s-vid input.

brian a

Second Unit
My source equipment is in another room with a IR relay next to my screen, but my projector is mounted in a hush box above my head. It's a real hastle to change both since they are in completely different directions from the seating area, and the remote has to be in just the right position to get into the hush box. I also have only component sources, and I don't have enough component inputs on the projector (4).

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
With people having so many video components these days (DVD, VCR, SAT, Game, DV camcorder, LD) a better question might be why wouldn't you use the receiver as a video switcher?

If you have 3-5 components (as many of us do) and a TV with only 1-2 inputs, obviously it makes sense to use the receiver as a video switcher. And you get to see its OSD for tweaking, etc.

If you have 1-2 components and don't care about using the receiver's OSD, go direct.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
last couple of points were good ,I guess I have begun assuming that most of the peoples tv's (here on this forum)would have a few component ins and multiple composite and s-video conections too

brian a

Second Unit
I think the problem is that a lot of us are starting to get into the 4 or 5 component source range. Not a lot of projectors (or tvs) will take that.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Stupid Question: If you're only interested in your receivers OSD and you have enough inputs on the back of the TV then can't you just run a cable from the receivers 'video out' to an open 'video in' on the TV? My other sources are already connected to the TV and I have one set of open inputs left.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Yes ,indeed this is what I do ...run everything composite through the rcvr to p/up on screen display (and to idiot proof it for visitors) ,then run component and s-video direct....

J

John Morris

With people having so many video components these days (DVD, VCR, SAT, Game, DV camcorder, LD) a better question might be why wouldn't you use the receiver as a video switcher?
Well, here is why I don't use the pre-pro to switch my component inputs. I have an RP-91, a Samsung HDTV STB and a HiPix HDTV HTPC, all using component outputs. All three of the images from those units look different. If I was to use a pre-pro to switch all three of those units into one single HDTV input, I could only calibrate the picture on the HDTV for one of those three units perfectly. The other two images would be less than perfect. However, since I run each unit's video directly into different component inputs on my HDTV, I can calibrate each input so that all the images from my three units look perfect. Also, my HDTV allows for direct access to each input so putting together remote control macros was very easy.

Take Care,

merc

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I ran everything thru my Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX and I have not noticed any differance in picture quality. It sure made switching between input sources a breeze.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread