Why Release Frasier S1 Disc 1 Again

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dean C, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Dean C

Dean C Second Unit

Just got an email from TVshowsondvd saying releasing season 1 disc 1? Why.

Many fans want the series to be complete and also I want to buy a special box that holds them all when its complete. Not the above.

2. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Many fans (and retailers) also want inexpensive "sampler" discs instead of -- or in addition to -- full-season sets.

That said, I would also like a nice box to store my collection of Frasier...when it's complete.

3. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I think releasing the first disc of the first season is the wrong approach. Sure the first six episodes are good, but if they insisted on doing this, they should've taken a 'best-of' approach consisting of episodes such as "The Ski Lodge" or "The Seal Who Came To Dinner". Perhaps the episodes with a little more notoriety would be enough to entice people to invest in the season sets.

Ah well, it's a moot point for me since I own seasons 1 through 8 as well as 11. I also agree with Matt. I would love to see a nice collector's box to house the 11 seasons once the remainder have been released. Unfortunately, I missed out on that great "Friends" box.

4. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

It looks like they're doing this with other series too; the "CSI" disc is also season 1, disc 1. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that means there might be a season 1, disc 2 at some point. It might be for the benefit of people who might buy a handful of episodes for a reasonable price, or are looking for specific episodes but not the entire season. I can think of a few series (though not many) where I'd prefer to buy specific episodes rather than the whole season as long as the per-episode price was comparable.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Sound to me like Paramount is trying to get rid of 'stock'? Perhaps an over run of Season 1, Disc 1's??? Perhaps repackaging 'returned' discs? etc. [​IMG]

6. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

It seems a screwed up method of releasing Best Ofs. I'd rather the first episode, some in the middle and the finales - not that.

7. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

Well, that's what I'm saying -- it doesn't look like it is a "best of," merely the "first of," which is exactly the same thing they're doing with CSI, The Brady Bunch, and The Andy Griffith Show.

8. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

The thing is, if I were a consumer and I bought a disc of a show that I wasn't too sure I wanted the whole thing of and then decided that I did want the entire season, I'd rather it be a best of with a variety of episodes from all over the map instead of buying the first set and already having the first six episodes on it.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I don't think this is a traditional "best of" sampler.

The intent is to convert those people that might not want to drop $40 on a full set, but don't mind paying $10-$12 per disc, into collectors who will buy all the single discs as they're released. If they sell, the studio will put out the whole series one disc at a time. Sort of like the old Columbia House subscription series, just via your local retailer instead of by mail. The studio is not trying to get them to buy the box sets. They hope they'll keep buying the single discs.

In the end, they'll end up paying more than the full set price, but if you can convince the sheeple to buy them, you'll definitely pad your profit margins.

10. MarkHastings

Plus there's no expense on mastering a "Best of" DVD - the DVD master has already been made and ready for replication.

11. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Don't you mean no expense in mastering a "first of" DVD -- a "best of" would require someone to think about what episodes to include, collate them together and create new menus (even if the same basic backgrounds already created are re-used) and to re-author the DVD?

Whereas the "first of" requires nothing more than pulling out the old master, and even re-using the old art if they really want to penny-pinch. The only new thing would be the cover art, which no doubt would be a derivative of the box set art, with just the blurbs on the back changed.

12. MarkHastings

Oh yeah. That's what I meant. No need to create a "Best of" if they just reuse an existing DVD.

13. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

Exactly. I did that with "Farscape." I liked the series, but not enough to justify the then-$100-per-season cost. But when the Starburst editions came out at around $15 per 7 episodes, with a new release every two months or so, I jumped at it. In that particular case, it also worked out cheaper to do it that way, though it might not for the shows we're discussing here.

14. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I honestly think if Paramount's gonna do this route (as long as it's for seasons that are already released, no Warner Bros. "Television Favorites" crap), they should take a page out of the Friends book and just do a single disc of the 6 or 8 best episodes of the said season, instead of just a "season 1, disc one" starter that would wind up a coaster since it's not like they will keep following it up.

15. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    This is something I'll probably get. I'm not about to get season sets of Frasier as I don't have the time, space and surplus cash for a show that's not among my favorites, but which I enjoy. Seeing the first six, last six and maybe a couple Best-of's would just satisfy my craving for some series. I for one like to see how a long-running series started out and the characters were introduced. Of course, I'd also like to see how it ends up, so maybe they'll do the last ones too someday.