Why, Regal Cinema, Why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The "Crossroads" publicity machine is in full gear as Regal Cinema chains are now serving their large popcorn in bags that have Britney Spears' lovely visage on it, promoting "Crossroads". Ugh.

(Yes, I ponied for the large popcorn, got my drink cup refilled for $1.50)

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Damn that Britney Spears and her black heart! Damn Her!

3. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Stunt Coordinator

The thing that really bothers me about Regal is that "America the beautiful" thing they play constantly.

A few years ago there was a British comedy series called "The Day Today", which showed a spoof film made by the British government to be shown in times of crisis. It featured all sorts of calming images with a voiceover intoning "Everything's alright. It's OK. It's fine". That Regal thing is almost exactly the same.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...I agree, I do hate that. They've been playing it at one of the Cinemark theaters in South Bend. It's pretty damn annoying seeing it over and over again.

5. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Is this "America The Beautiful" thing the same film as that Chuck Workman short "The Spirit Of America" (the one with all the movie clips)?

Sincerely,

John "just figured I'd ask" Kilduff

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i like the one with all the movie clips...those are some classic moments.
    the other one is starting to wear on me.
    the only thing i abhor is commercials! some day i'm gonna go postal in the theater because of that...

8. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

The Regal cinemas I've seen in Austin are total crap. They call them stadium seating but thats a laugh. The seating is barely inclined. They have one small exit/entrance. Then the screen is so close to the floor that anyone who gets up to take a break walks right in front of the movie. And to top everything off all the parking is compact only! Austin is truly a wasteland for good theaters, although I have heard good things about the new Alamo.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'm really sick of the stupid "America" trailers as well, ENOUGH! Especially when they're beat to hell from being run 50 times a week and spliced onto 12 different movies.

I can't wait till this fad is over

10. Dave Smith

Can't agree with you on Austin theaters, Michael.
    The Gateway, the Alamo downtown, the Arbor and the new Metropolitan are four of the best theatres I've ever been in, in their own way. The Gateway and Metropolitan, both Regal, are awesome THX-certified multiplexes with real stadium seating and great sound; the Arbor (Regal again) shows the not-quite-mainstream movies like Amelie and The Royal Tenenbaums in a great setting (no stadium seating though), and the Alamo downtown is clearly the greatest cinema on Earth [​IMG]

11. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Regal Cinemas just shut down my favorite theater, the historic Whiteside Theatre in Corvallis, OR. I just went to the very last showing, the movie was LOTR: FOTR. I guess they ended on a good note, though. Sniff...[​IMG]

12. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

They closed the two small/cheap theaters here in Salem too when they bought out Act III. And while I hate the America the Beautiful thing, I'm not sure I hate it more than the extended Brintey Spears Pepsi commercial it replaced. The whole commercials before the movie thing is such a load of bullshit. Trailers is one thing, I didn't pay nine bucks to watch TV adverts. Also I don't think they get any of their screens THX certified. I don't get to see a THX logo thing unless it's on a DVD these days...

13. Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch Stunt Coordinator

14. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

My main complaint is with the Gateway theater. Thats barely stadium seating. At places like Cinemark the tops of the seats in front of you are much higher than other stadium seaters. Aren't most at 45 degree angles? This one isn't for sure.

Now the Metropolitan does meet my expectations for stadium seating. However, when I went and sat on the right side of the middle grouping of seats the screen seemed completely off center. I felt I was looking left the whole time. And still they only have one entrance/exit. So its a zoo to get out.

Here in Plano there is a nice Cinemark on Legacy. Not the usualy purple and green puke colors. Its maroon and gold. So I'm kind of partial to this set up, although when they first appeared I couldn't stand them. The Cinemarks in Austin are passable. The one on 35 doesn't seem to be in a very good area and is sort of dirty. The Barton Creek Cinemark cinemas have their doors beneath the screen. Very distracting when someone leaves.

I have no complaints with the Arbor. I've seen many films there. It's a nice little theater.

The two Alamo Draft Houses aren't affiliated with Regal are they? Aren't those independently owned?

Maybe I'm extreme and hard to please when it comes to theaters. Honestly, 8 out of 10 times, I always find something wrong. I just went to the new Magnolia here in Dallas on Saturday. No handicapped parking. My parapalegic friend had to make it from the parking garage around the corner(no handicapped there either, he just lucked out on a first level). The manager just said "complain to our realtors, the phone number is on an empty building outside." He just passed the buck. Didn't even offer my buddy a free coke for his troubles.

15. Dave Smith

Yeah, the Alamo theaters are independant. But I just can't bring myself to talk about movie theaters without including them [​IMG]

16. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Here in South Florida, my local Regal Multiplex put up signs at the concession stand saying "Due To Customer Requests Our Popcorn Is Now Made With Coconut Oil". When I asked the kid behind the counter when the survey was taken he told me, "What survey?". They use the artery clogging substance because it's cheaper. Also he told me the stench from the Popcorn Machine isn't very nice as it must run hotter. Oh well, with all the retirees in the area I guess they figure what the hell. [​IMG]